Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query results in General Protection Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisaz

Programmer
Aug 23, 2000
US
Creating a new query in FoxPro 2.6 results in a general protection fault on just one server. FoxPro 2.6 is installed on the network being used by 6 users. One user can't create or use any queries. It results in a gneral protection fault. We reinstalled FoxPro 2.6 with the same results, other users can use this feature.

Any ideas?

Lisa

Questions - Is it the actual query, or is it when you preview / print the results from the query? Does the current printer use an HP printer driver? Have you run a hardware RAM tester recently on this machine? Because FP/VFP really exercises your memory it can run into problems other applications "miss".

Rick

On this particular machine clicking File, New, Query, New - results in a general protection fault. Where the other machines, using the same FoxPro can create a query. It's the ole, it used to work and we didn't change anything on this machine routine!! The RAM tester is the direction I think I'll take right now. Thanks, any other ideas please fire away.

What is wrong with HP print drivers....I've always personally had HP printers and used queries no problem.

Lisa

Lisa,
Some of the HP printer drivers don't reset the numeric co-processor correctly, and this can cause problems. See - FIX: Divide by Zero Creates Err with Third-Party Print Drivers and - PRB: "API Call Caused an Exception" Error Message with Third-Party Print Drivers. Note: While it's listed just for VFP, it's been suggested that it can cause problems in FP also.

While it wouldn't appear to apply in this case, see - PRB: Video Card Causes GP Faults or Display Problems.

You can try some other alternative possibilities by going to the MSDN site:
- enter
1) Visual FoxPro
2) Keyword Search using All Words
3) GPF

(31 hits)

You can also try other "key" words in 3).

Note: "Visual FoxPro" will get you all the FPW and FPD references too.

Rick

Printing in FOXPRO 2.6 with XP system - unidrv.dll error

I have recently converted a program we use at work onto an XP machine. I handled the divide by zero error but everytime I hit print I get an error that says

FOXPROW CAUSED A GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT AT MODULE UNIDRV.DLL

Please help me with a solution.

There is a new UNIDRV.DLL in XP SP1, have you installed this yet? Remember GPFs are usually an OS problem - not the application - it's just the one that "discovers" it!

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back