Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query regarding wildcards and indicies

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHeighlund

Programmer
Jun 11, 2007
US
I've been requested to modify a program that reads from our database - the purpose of the modification is to permit the usage of wildcard searches. (Ex: find fog, foolish, and ford when searching on 'fo*')

I know I need to use the '%' character for my searches. I know I need to use LIKE. But the searches are having to parse a fairly large database, and it's taking longer than my boss would like for the search to run. Is there any way of indexing a table so as to make wildcard searches run faster, or some other way of doing this, or am I simply chasing a pipe dream?

Hi

CHeighlund said:
I know I need to use the '%' character for my searches. I know I need to use LIKE.
Not exactly. Beside [tt]like[/tt], PostgreSQL can handle [tt]similar to[/tt] and POSIX matching too. And of course, through a Perl stored procedure you have access to PCRE too.

Read the Pattern Matching chapter of the PostgreSQL documentation for details.

No idea about the speed problem. I would try the mentioned alternatives, maybe one performs better.

Also I would try to rewrite the query, maybe some unwanted values could be eliminated before performing the matching.

CHeighlund said:
Ex: find fog, foolish, and ford when searching on 'fo*'
Maybe would help to improve the application too, so instead of [tt]field like 'fo%'[/tt] to perform [tt]strpos(field,'fo')=1[/tt] or [tt]substr(name,1,2)='fo'[/tt].

Again, I am not sure about their speed, so try them first.

Feherke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back