Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

f0z

Programmer
Jan 10, 2003
US
I've a db with a many-many relationship.

Very simple implementation with just 3 tables.

tblSoftware[smallint sid, varchar sname]
This table just holds all the software titles.

tblImages[smallint iid, varchar iname]
This table just holds all of the different images that we have in the company.

tblJunction[smallint iid, smallint iid]
This table is used to implement the many to many relationship. As an image can hold any number of software items and a software item can be on any number of images.

That out of the way my question is:
I want to generate a query that will return to me each software item and all of the images that it's associated with.

I've used this:

Code:
select s.name, jun.iid from tblSoftware s inner join tblJunction jun on s.sid = jun.sid

This is fine but it returns a different row for each image whereas I'd rather a "collection" of images in just the one column. If this is possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated. If you need more details dont hesitate. Cheers foz

If you are familiar with functions, here is one I used for a project. You can modify it to work with your project:

Code:
CREATE function [dbo].fn_ConcatProc(@id varchar(15))
RETURNS varchar(7000) AS 

--This function concatenates the ICD9 Procedure Code (HK 10/15/2003) 

BEGIN 
declare @output_string varchar(7000)
set	@output_string = ''
	Select 
		@output_string = rtrim(@output_string) + case when @output_string > '' then ','  else ''   end   + rtrim(cp.pcode)
	from plandata..claimproc cp
	where claimid = @id
return @output_string 
END

the @id that is passed would be the data you want added to one column.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back