Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wfuphan

MIS
Jul 8, 2004
US
Hello,
I'm having a problem with two queries that I want to interact. I have one query that searches for a certain Document Status and the other that searches for Document Type. I want to be able to search for a particular type of document and then continue to narrow the search by entering the status of the document. However, when these two queries are connected with an AND statement, I can't leave one query blank because all I receive is an empty table.
So, I guess the question is, how do I set this up so that an empty field will return all records?

Thanks

I'm assuming that you're using some type of user input in your query? It may be a matter of using wildcards in your search. In the query design view, under your fields for Status and Type, you could include this type of statement:

Like [Enter the doc status:] & "*"

and a similar statement for the document Type.

That way if you don't enter anything for Type or Status (or both) you should get all of them, instead of none. Since I haven't seen your query, I'm not sure if this answers your question. You may not even need to separate queries. You may just need one query that searches those two fields.

This solution is better, however it still doesn't return the results I was looking for. When I leave the Type query field blank I only get back the status of documents that have been assigned a type all other documents are left out. Yet, when I enter the Type and leave the Status field blank, it works as expected. Here's my query: SELECT [Outgoing Doc Log].[Log Number], [Outgoing Doc Log].[Document Number], [Outgoing Doc Log].[Document Title], [Outgoing Doc Log].Status, [Outgoing Doc Log].Author, [Outgoing Doc Log].[Document Type]
FROM [Outgoing Doc Log]
WHERE ((([Outgoing Doc Log].Status) Like [In-progress, Post Check, or Completed?] & "*") AND (([Outgoing Doc Log].[Document Type]) Like [Narrow search by entering Doc Type] & "*"));
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Try something like this:
SELECT [Log Number], [Document Number], [Document Title], Status, Author, [Document Type]
FROM [Outgoing Doc Log]
WHERE Nz(Status, "") Like [In-progress, Post Check, or Completed?] & '*'
AND Nz([Document Type], "") Like [Narrow search by entering Doc Type] & '*';

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back