Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query or Regular Expressions to find similar names

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHJ1

Programmer
Oct 30, 2007
US
A program that I am writing works from Extracts from several Excel Worksheets. I can import the data but because the Excel worksheets require manual input of the names of companies. Therefore, there are errors like this
Code:
A J MULLINS
AJ MULLINS
BARRICK GOLDSTRIKE MINE INC
BARRICK GOLDSTRIKE MINES INC
BLACK STONE MINERALS
BLACKSTONE MINERALS
CUNNINGHAM, PAUL
CUNNINGHAM, PAUL S
"DOUBLE ""D"" NEVADA LLC"
DOUBLE D NEVADA LLC
GREFCO INCORPORATED
GREFCO INCORPORTATED
H K VEAL & CO
H K VEIL & CO

Currently, I do a sort of entries by company name and examine them manually. Can anyone suggest a query or a function that uses regular expressions to automate the identification of these items? I have searched the forum, but did not find it on my own.

Thanks,
Alan

It may take some time to establish, but you could create a table that has two fields -- common "incorrect" spellings and the corrected spelling.

Somewhere during your import process, compare the incoming data to this table and make the necessary corrections.

Randy

Yes. Thank you. I am also considering an associative table. The problem is one of manual entry in the future. I know that people will continue to make typos and "human appropriate" name entries for Excel, which just won't work when we start to slice-and-dice in a database.

Do a google search for soundex vba

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back