Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query on bridged v half bridge mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 1999
GB
Hi,

Having inherited the most convoluted network arrangement (3 sites, about 15 routers, watchguards and netpilots, vpn failovers and other over engineered solution) a new internet line is being installed.

There is a range of public IP's and we need to assign public Ip's to a watchguard, a netpilot and the adsl modem itself. I got in a zoom ethernet bridge modem (5615) which it now turns out won't do the job as it cannot handle the adsl authentication and neither the netpilot nor the watchguard can do this.

Do I need a half-bridge modem to enable this? Have looked at the AM300 Linksys which some board say supports half bridge with a firmware update. Basically I need a device which can authenticate direct and then enable communication without NAT to these other devices.

Any advice would stop me putting my head through the wall, and any other specific modem models would be appreciated as well.

Please explain what ADSL authentication protocols you need to support. Maybe you need something more robust like a Fortigate firewall router?

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back