Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query multi Authors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2000
US
I work for a science dept... and when they do research.. a paper will have maybe up to 9 authors... How can I do a search on a author to show what he has published - if lets say he was author #7 of a paper.. I want to be able to see what papers John was envolved with for 1999 from our department... I put the book the article was in in a column, The title of the Article in a column, the page number of the Book, and all the authors in columns... example...... Author, author1, author2, author3, etc.... NOW I want to see what John was involved in.... Thanks for the assistance in advance...

I would suggest redesigning your database. Create a table that has author information, for example:

authorID
authorname
phone

The second table would have article information such as:

articleID
date
book
title

A third table would track the relationships between the two tables:

authorID
articleID

Using this design, it would be possible to pull all authors for an article, all articles for an author, limit the results to a certain year, phone number, hair color, etc.

Good Luck!

Mike Rohde
rohdem@marshallengines.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back