Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query looking for certain word in a field 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

demax182

Technical User
Jul 13, 2004
US
I'm not familiar with SQL yet, but if I need to learn it to get this done I'll have no choice. I have a table that is in horrible shape, there's no uniformity whatsoever, but it's what I have to work with, so please don't slam me for having a bad database design. I didn't create it, it's an excel spreadsheet that I inherited from 5 years back. I painstakingly formatted the data so that I can import it into Access in the best shape I can.

Ok, besides the point. I have a field called "remarks". I'm trying to find all the records with the word "AIS" within the field "remarks". So the query would find "AIS deficiency", "this was an AIS deficiency", "AIS deficiency fixed on 23 Jun 03", and other records of the like. Is there anyway to get this done?

Thank you!

How about;
Code:
WHERE [remarks] LIKE '*AIS*'
Hope this helps

HarleyQuinn
---------------------------------
Help us to help you,
read FAQ222-2244 before posting.

Sorry, to post a complete answer
Code:
SELECT * (means select everything)
FROM YourTable (being the name of you table)
WHERE remarks LIKE '*AIS*'
Hope this helps

HarleyQuinn
---------------------------------
Help us to help you,
read FAQ222-2244 before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back