Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query is blank if one table is empty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
May 9, 2001
GB
Can anyone help? I have a query which uses two tables. One table (Incident_Details) holds details of an incident with a autonum being the unique ref.

The other table holds the comments log for each incident (Incident_Log). The linking field is Incident_number.

The query pulls back fields from both tables for a given incident number. This works fine if there is comments for the given incident. If there are no comments for that incident then the query returns blank.

What I need is to have the Incident details return regardless of whether there are comments or not. If there are comments these need to be displayed as well.

Ideas would be very welcome.
Craig

Check out Access help for the Left Join operation:
Code:
Left outer joins include all of the records from the first (left) of two tables, even if there are no matching values for records in the second (right) table.

Fantastic. That was exactly want I wanted. Thank you for your help and quick response.

craig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back