Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query if a field is null 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptrifile

Technical User
Aug 10, 2004
US
I have a query that has its criteria based off of a form. I have three fields. Main_category, Second_category and Third_category. All pointing to those fields on FrmMain.

This works fine if all three fields are populated but sometimes the third_category will be blank or null but when that happens the query comes back with no records when i need it to still match records that only have a Main and Second category.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction or give me some possible solutions?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Thanks to anyone who was looking at this but I have figured it out. In case anyone has a similar issue I used the following query:

Code:
SELECT *
FROM tbllinks
WHERE (((IIf(IsNull([Forms]![frmmain]![main_category]),True,[main_category] Like [Forms]![frmmain]![main_category]))<>False) AND ((IIf(IsNull([Forms]![frmmain]![second_category]),True,[second_category] Like [Forms]![frmmain]![second_category]))<>False) AND ((IIf(IsNull([Forms]![frmmain]![third_category]),True,[third_category] Like [Forms]![frmmain]![third_category]))<>False));

The solution I see recommended most often is:

SQL:
SELECT *
FROM tbllinks
WHERE ([main_category]   Like [Forms]![frmmain]![main_category]   OR [Forms]![frmmain]![main_category]   Is Null)
  AND ([second_category] Like [Forms]![frmmain]![second_category] OR [Forms]![frmmain]![second_category] Is Null)
  AND ([Third_category]  Like [Forms]![frmmain]![Third_category]  OR [Forms]![frmmain]![third_category]  Is Null)

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Thanks dhookum! I ended up using your solution in the end!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back