Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query from tables sharing primary keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

beakerboy

Technical User
May 31, 2001
US
I'm setting up a database to store laboratory analytical data:
I have a 'sample' table with a sample_id, sample_date, sample_location (when was the sample take, and from where)
I have a 'method' table with method_id, method_name and method_table_name (name of the analytical method and what database table represents the results)
I have an 'analysis' table with analysis_id, sample_id, method_id and analysis_date (which sample was analyzed by what method and when)

Then I share this primary key with one of many method tables. For example the 'atomic absorption' table will have atomic_absorption_id, atomic_absorption_copper, atomic absorption_iron to represent the amount of iron and copper in a sample. I also have a 'gc' table with gc_id and gc_ethanol

I can't figure out how to generate an SQL statement to join on a table who's name is the result of the query.

SELECT * from sample NATURAL INNER JOIN analysis NATURAL INNER JOIN method INNER JOIN (the value of method_table_name) ON analysis_id=(method_table_name)_id WHERE sample_id=2;

It might be easier to change the name of gc_id and atomic_absorption_id to both be analysis_id to enable a NATURAL INNER JOIN, but if multiple analyses were performed on one sample, I'll still have to add analysis.analysis_id='method_table_name'.analysis_id in the JOIN.

Any help is appreciate.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back