Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query for a file within a node backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outsyder

MIS
Jul 20, 2005
CA
Hello.

I was looking for a way to query the database for a specific file within a specific node. We have a user that needs a file restored, but does not remember the location of the file within the filesystems (an AIX box). A 'find' of the file in question directly on the AIX box does not return any results as well. But our user swears that the file used to be there, somewhere.

Is there a way to query the DB of TSM for a possible hit on that file?

Thanks.

Hi

1. On the AIX client, start the dsmc utility in the same user context that is used to execute the backups

2. Use the "query backup -inactive $filespec" command to search for your file. Wildcards are permitted. For exact runes issue the command "help" from within the dsmc utility, and follow the numbered prompts to look up the syntax for the "query backup" command.

Much, much safer than trying to query the DB directly :)

HTH

Kind Regards,
Matthew Bourne
"Find a job you love and never do a day's work in your life.

Thank you MBourne2006.
I got it to work, but displaying the files within the subdirectories. I used this :

dsmc query backup -inactive -subdir=yes "/usr/local/" > output.txt

At least, i got the listing dumped to a flat file where i could search for the possible files.

Thanks.

Stephan

oh yes, -subdir=yes, I always miss that one first time :)

Kind Regards,
Matthew Bourne
"Find a job you love and never do a day's work in your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back