Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query does not exclude the records with "Exclusion" on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Apr 8, 2006
US
Can someone please help me with the query below. I am trying to exclude the records that have "Exclusion" on a field and the query is not excluding them. Not sure what is the problem with the query. Guidance please.

SELECT tblDNSaudit.DNSName, tblDNSaudit.IP, tblAuditIdDescription.Category, tblDNSaudit.InitialDate AS DateIdentified, tblDNSaudit.AppearDate AS DateLastReported, tblDNSaudit.AuditId, tblAuditIdDescription.Description, tblAuditIdDescription.FixInformation, tblDNSaudit.ExclusionCategory, IIf([Category]="Category III",[DateIdentified]+180,IIf([Category]="Category II",[DateIdentified]+60,IIf([Category]="Category I",[DateIdentified]+25,"F"))) AS CatDueDate
FROM tblAuditIdDescription INNER JOIN tblDNSaudit ON tblAuditIdDescription.AuditID = tblDNSaudit.AuditId
WHERE (((tblAuditIdDescription.Category)<>"Category IV") AND ((tblDNSaudit.AppearDate)=(SELECT Max(tblDNSaudit.AppearDate) AS MaxOfAppearDate
FROM tblDNSaudit)) AND ((tblDNSaudit.ExclusionCategory)<>"Exclusion"))
ORDER BY tblDNSaudit.DNSName, tblAuditIdDescription.Category;

Thank you, Luis

The from that you mentioned is for the sub-query not the primary query. However, thank you for feedback.

Yes I'm sure the value is "Exclusion". Yes, I created a query equal to "Exclusion" and it displays all the record with exclusion. Then if I change the = "Exclusion" to <> "Exclusion" then I don't get nothing on the query.

I'm really confused. Thanks, Luis

Seems like a NULL issue.
What about this criria ?
Nz(tblDNSaudit.ExclusionCategory, "?")<>"Exclusion"

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

PHV - it helps. How did you figure out that was a Null issue.

Your statement:
if I change the = "Exclusion" to <> "Exclusion" then I don't get nothing on the query.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

... plus – experience.
If it happens to you a few times, finally you are able to spot the issue right away. If it happens to somebody else, you can see it clearly way before they can figure it out.

Am I right, PHV? :)

Have fun.

---- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back