Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query DNS Server Service for Resource Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

LWComputingMVP

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2005
US
Greetings,

I'm looking for a way (sample code GREATLY appreciated) to Query a DNS Server for Active Directory Service Records. For my particular app, I cannot trust calls made by the OS on my apps' behalf - I need to be able to:

1. Determine the Supposed IP address of the DNS server from the TCP/IP information configured on the adapter [DONE - I don't need help on this part]
2. Query that DNS server - AND OTHERS - for AD Resource records, such as Global Catalog information, Site Information, etc.

I suspect a WinSock control connecting to port 53, but I don't know the "handshake/query language" used by DNS (I've dabbled enough with things like this that I can successfully send e-mail directly through a winsock control - I understand SMTP well enough to do that - but I don't understand - or know quite where to go to understand - DNS for this purpose.

BTW, given the purpose of my app, it cannot use third party controls.

-Lee

Those who ask why, learn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back