Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query Column Width (Newbie) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrenhubbard

Technical User
Apr 28, 2003
GB
OK, "stupid question time" as I'm sure this must be really simple:

I've created a query through vba and I just want to specify the width of some of the columns within vba -- and I can't find a method to do it....

Thanks for any help!

TIA,

Darren

Your post doesn not make much sence. Are trying to populate a listbox or make a query in the "Queries" section of you db?

Hi darrenhubbard,

If you post your code and or sql with a bit more detail of what you want to do, I wouldn't mind trying to help out on this one.

Interesting!

Bill

Hi darrenhubbard,

You need to set the ColumnWidth property of the Field in the QueryDef. A value of 0 means it's hidden, a value of -1 means use the default; any other value is the width of the column in twips (1440 twips to the inch). As a simple example this sets a width to 2 inches:

Code:
Dim tjDb As DAO.Database
Dim tjQry As DAO.QueryDef
Dim tjFld As DAO.Field
Dim tjProp As DAO.Property

Set tjDb = CurrentDb
Set tjQry = tjDb.QueryDefs!
Code:
QueryName
Code:
Set tjFld = tjQry.Fields!
Code:
FieldName
Code:
Set tjProp = tjFld.Properties!ColumnWidth

tjProp = 2880

tjDb.Close

Set tjProp = Nothing
Set tjFld = Nothing
Set tjTab = Nothing
Set tjDb = Nothing

Enjoy,
Tony

Cheers, Tony that did it!

I couldn't do it originally as I was missing out the ".Fields" bit.... so now I know!

Cheers,

Darren

Here's a trick I found using Send Keys. After a command that opens a query, add the following:

For X = 1 To qryDef.Fields.Count
SendKeys "%oc+{TAB}{ENTER}{RIGHT}", True
Next X

SendKeys "{UP}{F2}{HOME}", True

Note that this code counts on the Format, and ColumnWidths menu picks being available - so if you use a home made menu, add this before the above code:

Application.MenuBar = ""

Then add this below the SendKeys code:

Application.MenuBar = "<your menu name>"

It works, but its ugly. If anyone knows how to do it in code without using SendKeys, I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks!
ReluctantDataGuy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back