Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query a 4 byte RAW Data field and convert bit settings to a string val 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljsmith91

Programmer
May 28, 2003
US
Hi all,

I have no idea how to go about this and any direction would be a great help.

I need to query a 4 byte raw data field in a table and convert the bits to string values. The db layout manual has a mapping for this field:

From the DB Manual:

field_name = day_of_week (RAW 4-bytes)

This field contains a bit mask where each bit
reflects what days of a week a calendar based
schedule will execute. The following is a list
of the bit patterns within this bit mask:
0 = Every Sunday
1 = Every Monday
2 = Every Tuesday
3 = Every Wednesday
4 = Every Thursday
5 = Every Friday
6 = Every Saturday

How would I query the schedule table for this field and map to the appropriate string(s). I would have to account for all bits set or only a few or 0 or 1 and output a string that would make sense like 'S-M-T-W-Th-F-Sa' or 'M-W-F' or 'T-Th'. I just have no idea how to code something like that up in sql.

Sample data in the day_of_week field for the schedule table is:

record1 = '00004001'
record2 = '00080020'
record3 = '04081020'
record4 = '0FFFFFFF'

Please, any direction would be a great help as I have never come across the need to do this before.

Thanks.

ls

Not something I've done before, but I guess you could do something like convert the raw to a hex value using HEXTORAW, then convert it to a float using TO_CHAR(nnnnnn, 'XXXXXX'). Having got it has an integer, you could then use the BITAND function to work out which bits are set on and off. The DUMP function might also be useful.

I was quite interested in this, so have had a go at providing a solution. However, I'm a bit puzzled by your data. If it's supposed to represent 7 days of the week, then all you would need would be one byte and the highest value you could have would be with all 7 bits set or 127 (7F in hexadecimal). Therefore, I'm not sure why your data is showing values like '0FFFFFFF' (assuming that's a hex representation of the value).

At any rate, the solution I have looks like this:

Code:
SQL> create table raw_vals (colval raw(8))
Table created.
SQL> insert into raw_vals values (hextoraw('00000001'))
1 row created.
SQL> insert into raw_vals values (hextoraw('00000002'))
1 row created.
SQL> insert into raw_vals values (hextoraw('00000003'))
1 row created.
SQL> insert into raw_vals values (hextoraw('0000007F'))
1 row created.
SQL> select regexp_replace(
       decode(BITAND(to_NUMBER(rawtohex(colval), 'XXXXXXXX'),1), 1,'S-',null)||
       decode(BITAND(to_NUMBER(rawtohex(colval), 'XXXXXXXX'),2), 2,'M-',null)||
       decode(BITAND(to_NUMBER(rawtohex(colval), 'XXXXXXXX'),4), 4,'T-',null)||
       decode(BITAND(to_NUMBER(rawtohex(colval), 'XXXXXXXX'),8), 8,'W-',null)||
       decode(BITAND(to_NUMBER(rawtohex(colval), 'XXXXXXXX'),16),16,'Th-',null)||
       decode(BITAND(to_NUMBER(rawtohex(colval), 'XXXXXXXX'),32),32,'F-',null)||
       decode(BITAND(to_NUMBER(rawtohex(colval), 'XXXXXXXX'),64),64,'Sa-',null), '-$') days_to_run
 from raw_vals

DAYS_TO_RUN     
----------------
S               
M               
S-M             
S-M-T-W-Th-F-Sa

Hi Dagon,

Thanks so much for the reply. I do not understand the 4 bytes either. I am going to put your code in play and see if it translates it as is expected. Thanks so much for the help. I have never come across this before so it's good to learn through this forum from folks like yourself who know sql so well.

ljs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back