Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quering a word from a column, based on a longer word as input

Status
Not open for further replies.

duftstenen

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2008
DK
Hi

I am in a situation where I need to see if a string matches a value in a SQL database. The input word will always be longer than the word in the database. I must admit that after thinking of a solution, I cannot come up with something usefull.

I have the following table, Category, one column called "FruitName". It contains the following 2 rows:

Apple
Orange

The problem is that I would like to query whether some of the value in the string e.g. "Applecake" exists in the Category table.

The only way I can figure out to solve this, is to populate every rows in a e.g. a list / array, where I run thru every item and try a regex match with the word in the database on the input string.

Do you guys have any good input on doing this the query way or some how else? I don't think the solution of running thru every row to match the specific string would be most optimal.

Best regards
D.

Can you do something similar to this? I don't know if you're using a program to pass in the searched value (applecake) or what...

select * from YOURTABLE
where INSTR('APPLECAKE',FruitName) > 0

-- Jason
"It's Just Ones and Zeros

I think you meant

select * from YourTable where CHARINDEX(FruitName, @myString) > 0

But I don't really like the solution - it would not be optimmizable.

However, at the moment I can not think of a better one anyway.

Yes, I had my Oracle hat on...

-- Jason
"It's Just Ones and Zeros

Thank you both very much for the fast answer. It was exactly what I was look for, great! Let me if you work something out on a more optimal way of doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back