Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamapollo

MIS
Aug 22, 2001
AU
Hi

My question relates to designing a query. I have made a field in the query that adds the value in three other fields, in the form 'Totals: [field1] + [field2] + [field3].

This works fine when all three fields have values, but if one or 2 of the fields are blank it comes out with an answer of blank even if one or two of the fields do have values in them. Any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks much

Michael

The simple answer (I don't know if there's a more elegant one) would be:

Totals: Iif(IsNull[field1],0,[field1] + Iif(IsNull[field2],0,[field2] + Iif(IsNull[field2],0,[field2];

This *should* work but it's off the top of my head. Look in VBA's help under 'iif' for its correct syntax if not.

Cheers

K

I use the NZ function. Don't really know which way is "best", just thought I would offer an alternative. I find the nz function easier for me, but really do not know which way executes faster

from Access 97 help:
Syntax

Nz(variant[, valueifnull])

The Nz function has the following arguments.

Argument Description
variant A variable of data type Variant.
valueifnull Optional (unless used in a query). A Variant that supplies a value to be returned if the variant argument is Null. This argument enables you to return a value other than zero or a zero-length string. If you use the Nz function in an expression in a query without using the ValueIfNull argument, the results will be empty in the fields that contain null values

Thus:
your query would be like this sum( nz([field1],0) + nz(field2], 0) + nz([field3],0)) as Totals (or whatever) Terry (cyberbiker)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back