Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Queries and views

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbodger

Programmer
Apr 23, 2007
US
I have this view (or cte)

Code:
select protocolid, dtblname, v_name from cte

with data like

Code:
protocolid dtblname     v_name
108	tblEligibility	BASELINE_CANCER-HX_BLADDER-ONLY_CODE
108	tblEligibility	BASELINE_CANCER-HX_CHEMO-EVER_CODE
108	tblEligibility	BASELINE_CANCER-HX_CONFIRMATION_CODE
108	tblEligibility	BASELINE_CANCER-HX_GENE-THERAPY-SPECIFY_TEXT

and I want to use this data to build a looping query that would give me something like

Code:
select v_name from dbedrn(protocolid).dbo.dtblname

where I use the results from the first view/query to build the second query. Any suggestions since my ideas aren't working?

wb

Could you provide a data same for what you want the final result to be.

Simi

Yes. As I was thinking about it this morning I thought of a better way to present it (I hope). So, I have this data (which is a list of all required fields for all forms in all of our databases)
Code:
protocolid dtblname     v_name
108	tblEligibility	BASELINE_CANCER-HX_BLADDER-ONLY_CODE
108	tblEligibility	BASELINE_CANCER-HX_CHEMO-EVER_CODE
108	tblEligibility	BASELINE_CANCER-HX_CONFIRMATION_CODE
108	tblStudyInfo    BASELINE_CANCER-HX_GENE-THERAPY-SPECIFY_TEXT
and what I want to come out of that is
Code:
if protocolid=108 then
select *
from dbMSA.tblEligibility
where [BASELINE_CANCER-HX_BLADDER-ONLY_CODE] is null
or [BASELINE_CANCER-HX_CHEMO-EVER_CODE] is null
or [BASELINE_CANCER-HX_CONFIRMATION_CODE] is null

select * from dbMSA.tblStudyInfo
where [BASELINE_CANCER-HX_GENE-THERAPY-SPECIFY_TEXT] is null
So, I want to build queries dependent on the protocolid and dtblname and I am looking for any null values in required fields. Does that make a little more sense?

wb

The easy thing to do assuming you are not trying to build the SQL strings and run them would to build a simple select statement that concatenates the SQL statement you want together and return it as a column. When you run the Select, then the output will be a bunch of select statements you can copy and paste and use.

To conditionally do something in a select use a Case when statement.

I do actually need to run the script(s) as they are being built. Right now I have this view

Code:
SELECT distinct fn.PROTOCOLID, dc.DBNAME, '['+ltrim(rtrim(dep.V_NAME))+']' as v_name, dep.DTBLNAME, fn.FormID, dep.DPAGE, dep.DORDER
FROM         dbo.vwDEPAGE AS dep INNER JOIN
                      dbo.vwFormName AS fn ON dep.FORMID = fn.FormID join tblDataConnect dc
                      on fn.PROTOCOLID=dc.PROTO_ID
WHERE     (dep.DREQUIRE = 1) AND (fn.PROTOCOLID <> 0) AND (fn.PROTOCOLID <= 354)

and then this stored procedure

Code:
ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[FindMissingFields] 
	-- Add the parameters for the stored procedure here
	@dbIName varchar(50) 
AS

DECLARE @dbname varchar(50),
		@tblname varchar(50),
		@vname varchar(50),
		@dpage int,
		@dorder int,
		@pks varchar(4000),
		@adhoc varchar(max)

BEGIN
	SET NOCOUNT ON;

DECLARE db_cursor CURSOR FOR 
SELECT	DISTINCT ltrim(rtrim(vw1.DBNAME)) as dbname, 
		ltrim(rtrim(vw1.DTBLNAME)) as dtblname, 
		ltrim(rtrim(vw1.V_NAME)) as v_name, 
		vw1.DPAGE, 
		vw1.DORDER,
		substring ( stuff(
                              (
                                select ' , ' + rtrim(ltrim(cast(V_NAME as varchar(max))))
                                from dbDEMAPPING.dbo.vwPR2871_TblsFlds as vw2
                                where DPAGE=0 and vw2.DTBLNAME=vw1.DTBLNAME and vw2.FormID=vw1.FormID
                                order by DPAGE, DORDER 
                                for xml path ('') ),
                                1 ,
                                2 ,
                                '') 
                                , 2 , 1000 ) as pks
from dbDEMAPPING.dbo.vwPR2871_TblsFlds as vw1
where DBNAME=@dbIName
order by dbname, dtblname, dpage, dorder	
	OPEN db_cursor  
	FETCH NEXT FROM db_cursor INTO @dbname, @tblname, @vname, @dpage, @dorder, @pks

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0  
	BEGIN 
		set @adhoc = 'SELECT ' + @pks + ' from ' + @dbname + '.dbo.' + @tblname + ' where '+ @vname + ' is null'

exec (@adhoc)

FETCH NEXT FROM db_cursor INTO @dbname, @tblname, @vname, @dpage, @dorder, @pks  
	END

CLOSE db_cursor  
DEALLOCATE db_cursor 
END

which seems to work for the most part, but one thing I would like to do is identify in the output what db (@dbname) and table (@tblname) these are for. I tried

Code:
set @adhoc = 'SELECT "'+@tblname+'"' + @pks + ' from ' + @dbname + '.dbo.' + @tblname + ' where '+ @vname + ' is null'

but it tried to use @tblname as a column name. Is there any way, in this style, that I can use those variables (@dbname and @tblname) as constants in the query @adhoc? Thanks!

wb

This is for an internal audit, so there is no danger of SQL injection as I will be firing off the stored procedure and exec() is what you use to take a dynamic string as input and execute it, that is not the issue. It runs fine, it is just that when I run it for a certain database, the results come back with only the primary keys, nothing to identify which table they are from. I have that value in the stored procedure (@tblname), but I cannot insert it as a constant into the dynamic sql (@adhoc). So,

Code:
set @adhoc = 'SELECT "'+@tblname+'"' + @pks + ' from ' + @dbname + '.dbo.' + @tblname + ' where '+ @vname + ' is null'

gives me an error because it is trying to use @tblname as a columnname (whereas I want it as a constant).
This:

Code:
set @adhoc = 'SELECT ' + @pks + ' from ' + @dbname + '.dbo.' + @tblname + ' where '+ @vname + ' is null'

works and gives me

Code:
SELECT [STUDY_PARTICIPANT_ID] , [STUDY_PROTOCOL_INELIGIBLE_DATE] from TBLINELIGIBILITY where [BASELINE_CONSENT_GROUP_CODE] is null

but I would like to have

Code:
SELECT 'TBLINELIGIBILITY' as tablename, [STUDY_PARTICIPANT_ID] , [STUDY_PROTOCOL_INELIGIBLE_DATE] from TBLINELIGIBILITY where [BASELINE_CONSENT_GROUP_CODE] is null

where TBLINELIGIBILITY is the value in @tblname (and thus a changing value)). Does that make more sense? Again, the view and stored procedure run just fine and work properly, I am just trying to get a little more information that is not contained in the table into the final query output.

Thanks,
wb

Now I see the problem... Double quotes are not used for literals / strings at all in T-SQL. You just double up Single quotes to get one single quote embedded in a string so '' in as string becomes '... so a string that begins and ends with a single quote '''' evaluates to '

Code:
set @adhoc = 'SELECT [red]'''[/red] + @tblname + [red]''''[/red] + @pks + ' from ' + @indbname + '.dbo.' + @tblname + ' where '+ @vname + ' is null'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back