Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

qucikbasic 4.5 compiling to .exe help

Status
Not open for further replies.

beyondsociety

Technical User
May 9, 2002
US
I can compile a .bas file to .exe in quickbasic45 and it works fine. But when I try to run the program, it won't work. It runs a normal program that says hello but if I put the command screen followed by a number for the screen type, it won't work. When I try to compile it to a .com file, the converter says it can't convert it because when I compiled it to a .exe file, it created a stack segment. Is there any way to not have the compiler in quickbasic45 add the stack segment to it. Otherwise it won't work. When I ran the information command on the the exe-to-com converter it says I'am having problems with the initial cs:ip stack segment (hex - 0528:0010 no decimal conversion) and the initial ss:sp stack segment (hex - 0582:0080 dec - 128 stack size)and that's why it won't convert.
If someone could really help me out I would appreicate it.

try compiling as "A STAND-ALONE" and not as "REQUIRES BRUN45" in RUN>MAKE EXE menu. --MiggyD

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

I have found some old basic files on a disk, but they have been converted to exe files so i cant see and change the source code. Is it possible to reconvert the exe files to bas files?

You cannot convert QB 4.5 .EXE programs to .COM programs. The requirements for a .COM program are (in addition to no stack segment) that everything (data, code, stack, etc.) fit within 64K. There is no inherent benefit in making a .COM program - certainly no differences regarding types of screen output.

Saying SCREEN n where n is some screen type is not related to being an .EXE or .COM program. You can only use the SCREEN types supported by your video adapter (or supported by your video adapter, driver, and Windows version, if running in a "DOS window").

To see which SCREEN n modes work, go to the QuickBASIC help, select Index, type S to get down to the "S's" and right-click SCREEN. Then click DETAILS, read about how it works, and then right-click the link to Screen Mode Summary about 6 lines down in the Details page. The summary will describe what works and what you get, for modes in each kind of display environment.

- Chuck Somerville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back