Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quarterdeck Disk Clone Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avayatech713

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2007
US
Hoping one of the older hard drives gurus can help us with an unusual request.

We have used Quarterdeck's Corporate DiskClone 1.0 or 1.01 - DOS based software for over 10 years in our business for special hard drive work. It is the only software that will work on a couple of our critical hard drive repair projects. Our repair PC that ran the DOS DiskClone software just crashed and we can't find our archive copy install disk. Symantec bought Quarterdeck and their tech support guys don't have a copy as it hasn't been sold in almost 10 years.

Does anyone have a copy of this software that they can help us with?

Let us know.

If just the PC died, put the HD in another PC.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

The hard drive crashed which caused the PC to crash ..... can't find the original disks to load and the test PS is now running - just missing the Disk Clone software.

Have you tried the HD in another PC?

Avayatech713,

If I may ask, what is the specific job that this software does/did that its modern equivalents can not?

Tony

Users helping Users...

Avayatech713 said:
DO you have a copy?

No. And besides, this is not a marketplace, it's an exchange of ideas to help solve problems.

I do sympathize with your situation. I am in the visual arts and get used to certain brands and colors of markers. Without fail, some of my favorites always get discontinued.

I can: 1) Beat the bushes for any last remnants of the desired product or 2) Find a current replacement that will do the job.

I have found it easier to do the latter, and that prompted my question. I was trying to determine what task exactly you are seeking to perform, so we could all help find a current product that, while not identical, will get the job done.

Don't sell the minds here at Tek-Tips short; there are few processes "too involved" for the resident Brainiacs (myself NOT included) to understand and offer advice towards resolution. You might even find there's a BETTER app for your unique project that's been developed in the past 10 years. We are all here solely to help resolve problems.

Tony

Users helping Users...

I know I asked this before and you replyed twice. You say the drive is defective, how did you determine it is defective? I used to Buy and Sell HD's and I would Buy supposed Dead,Bad or coruppted HD's and I would find that maybe 5 out of 100 are really bad the rest where minor gliches. I have never had a HD that I couldn't get the Data off of it.

You could try posting in eBay's Want It Now...there are loads of "antique" software vendors there:

Some folks have mentioned in forum posts that Ghost 9, 10, & 12 is based on Quarterdeck's DiskClone, here is one cached search with keywords highlighted:

...and Ghost 10 & 12 are readily available on . I have seen numerous forum posts that verify this statement. It just comes down to whether you're willing to gamble $30-40 that they are in fact the same.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Tony,

I appreciate the help and have been on the forums for many years.

I wasn't using this forum for a "Craig's List" post - just had a very specific request and for anyone who knew the software that would respond.

There is no other software commercially available that can do one specific process we do with it.

Thanks for the responses.

It's either illegal or top sceret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back