Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QuarkXpress and InDesign Comparison 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj0inkdrop

Technical User
Jul 29, 2005
US
I am a quark user all my life but i have to look in to using InDesign as well. has anyone used InDesign here as well? if you have...
what are some problems you had to deal with printer/vendors in using InDesign compare to quark.
I didn't just want to ask questions to Adobe lovers in Adobe section of the forum so I'd really appriacite anyone's comments on this.

I've only heard couple issues with InDesign but i don't think i have enough resouces to compare.
Please reply with possive or negative comments.
it would really help.
thank you.

I've been a Quark user for 16 years. Great product until they released v5.

InDesign blows it away completely, especially CS2.

It opens Quark fairly well - not perfectly though. Pricing is good if you do an upgrade from Photoshop and retain your Quark for specific jobs.

Downside - open a Quark doc in InDesign and you can't save it back as Quark. I'd migrate wholesale tomorrow if that were the case.

Printer/vendor is absolutely the prob. Check with them first that they can handle it. If they can't, they must be pretty small. Most people can now handle INDs.

If they can't handle InDesign it's likely that they can handle PDF's. Although, there will always be some that don't.
Many printers prefer PDF's anyhow.

I've used Quark for around 15 years and never really had recourse to switch.
I've done one sample job in InDesign and it was nice enough to use. However I found it to be very sluggish, this may well have been down to my machine at the time though!

Nowadays I find Quark sluggish, but have no requirement to switch as I do less work for print.

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
I wonder what possesses people to make those animated gifs. Do you just get up in the morning and think, "You know what web design r

I absolutely love InDesign and now I don't use Quark at all anymore. I haven't had any issues with the printers so far, I think many are shifting to ID anyways.

It used to be an issue to deal with printers because they all knew Quark and grumbled about having to learn new technology. I think there were also some problems with outputting files using transparency. I haven't heard much grumbling lately, so I guess it's been ironed out. But many printers prefer PDFs, so it doesn't matter anyways.

I love InDesign. I was a diehard Quark fan until using an ID demo. It's easy to learn for Quark users and it even has a preference for using Quark keyboard commands so you don't have to learn new ones. Personally, I like having the same commands for ID, Photoshop and Illustrator, but you do have a choice.

InDesign slows down to a crawl when working with large documents (page extent), or documents with heaps and heaps of Tabs.

On these kinds of Documents I've had to break it up into smaller ones to able to work without waiting for the beachball of death every time a click the mouse, and I'm running a G5.

Quark on the other hand zooms through stuff like that without having to break documents up. (Massive advantage there)

Typography is alot better also.

Marcus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back