Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quark will not recognize greyscale jpg's

Status
Not open for further replies.

programdirector

Technical User
Jan 29, 2004
US
I have always imported greyscale jpg's into quark. It's never been a problem. Now it is, it will not recognize greyscale jpg's. When I pull up the get picture box it states format PICT and states that dimisions unknown and color depth unknown. It will recognize a jpg in any other format and it will recognize greyscale tiff's. When I import the greyscale jpg it just imports a white back ground.

My jpg extension is on. The pictures will open in photoshop. I have un-installed and re-installed both Quark and photoshop. There was no change. Any suggestions?

Are there any extra goodies in your JPG (paths, channels, etc...) that could be affecting Quark's ability to read?

Why lose quality by using JPGs? You can achieve the same file size (sometimes even smaller) by saving as TIFFs with LZW compression. LZW is a lossless compression. JPG compression makes your images look muddy.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

I don't know if you have solved this problem yet, but I have exactly the same problem with all jpegs created or saved in photoshop. I have got around the problem by opening the files in paintshop and re-saving. Not a perfect solution, but it does work.

What version of Photoshop are we using? Is it patched to the latest available version? There was a bug in PS7 that caused problems with JPG. Update to 7.0.1

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Yes - I am using v7. Will try upgrading. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back