Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quark version 7-problems anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimz

Technical User
Nov 5, 2003
US
Has anyone had problems with Quark v7? We installed it in June on our network of PCs and it was great for the first couple of days. Then it started seriously corrupting documents, at random, so badly they had to be recreated.

Quark Tech Support was surprisingly responsive, at first. I was asked to send them the damaged documents and they verified the corruption, and were able to recreate other problems - such as the right-align tabs created in earlier versions causing text to flow to another line.

I am in contact with them weekly, but only get the answer that they are aware of the problems, others are indeed experiencing them, and there is no release date set for an update.

Meanwhile, I'm afraid to install it at home on my Mac! Just wondered what others' experience is with v7. Thanks.

Many Many problems with Qxp 7, on G5 at work and MacBookPro at home: crashes ALL the time. Discovered if I have a text box selected, or type selected, then hit Command-S to save, the beach ball comes up: and then EVERY TIME: crash. So, deselect everything everytime you want to save. (This is really assinine.) THEN, crashes (on home computer) if trying to choose new font for selected line of text. Beach ball, then crash. Also, both computers: the application moves through molasses (if it hasn't crashed). So much for speedy new processors right? If I knew who those Quark programmers lived, I'd get a contract out on them. Of course, if anyone has any idea how to get around these headaches (besides moving over to InDesign) I'm all ears. I don't expect the answers to come from Quark.

1) make sure you are fully patched. Quark just released on a week or so ago.

2) delete your preferences to clean up your installation. This is explained more fully at quark.com's forums

3) if a screwdriver doesn't seem to fit the screw, do you keep wrestling with it until you tear up the screw or do you find another screwdriver? Likewise, what is wrong with moving to InDesign?

Thank you jimoblak. I will hunt for Quark's patch (they might have notified users to it!) and will delete the preferences. As a veteran quark user and having just invested $$ in Quark 7, I am trying to hold out just a little longer on the hope that Quark comes around. But believe me, I'm considering ID.

I am trying to hold out just a little longer on the hope that Quark comes around.

This is a common statement issued on previous releases. I admire your tolerance.

I have reduced my use of QuarkXPress to less than 10% of my jobs; only when required by the client.

I'm with Jim here. Indesign just doesn't give you any of the problems. You get your work done and get it done fast - real fast. It's a dream. Takes a little getting used to but not much if you're familiar with the Illustrator interface.

We gave up after trying the trial version of Q6 - sticking with 4. Fortunately we don't get anything sent to us in any page layout program's format and, at printers' and publications' request, haven't sent anything except a pdf in about 2 years.

Yeah, downloaded the Q7 trial and promptly ditched it. It could not compare to Indesign.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

My only problem with Quark 7 so far was 7.01 and from what I have read 7.02 wont print to any Fiery rip. You would get CUPS errors unless you used generic PPDs. So went back to 7.0 and its fine. Found a fix but your modifying the PPD files which I couldnt be bothered, 7.0 is sluggish but good enough for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back