Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quark PDF files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suek50

Technical User
Nov 8, 2001
US
Can anyone help with this? I've only just got Quark and need to create some PDF files.

Any step by step advice would be a great help!

You need to get either a PDF Writer or Distiller. Sorry

Not sure but I think you might be able to down load the PDF writer from the web, it appears as a printer under chooser. Not the best way to create PDF's from Quark though.

Acrobat is about £170 I think. If you can't fix it in 20 call someone who can.

You can get the PDF filter for Quark. It isn't brilliant but it'll do what you want. Look on quark's web site.

Thanks for the info. Having considered all the options I think I'm better off having someone else create these files for me.

Does anyone know where I can get Mac files created through QuarkExpress v4 turned into PDF files?

I do expect to pay for this!

Thanks

This can be done but would need to know
How many pages and if it is going to go to
Print pub (HI RES) to be printed or just
Viewed on screen (LOW RES) and if you
Need more then one copy this would be
Burned on CD, DVD, ZIP, JAZ, OPITCAL
Priced accordingly
Greg

K & G Design
kgdesign@warwick.net

Im having the same problem for creating PDFs. I have QuarkXpress 5 and Acrobat 5, along with the distiller. Everytime i goto export> PDF file, It says i have to setup a postscript printer.... What do i do ???

i dont have Quark 5
but think you have to select the
acrobat writer in the chooser Greg

K & G Design
kgdesign@warwick.net

You need to set the acrobat preferences in Q5 to specify the distiller server options, job options and so on.

Sorry guys I still would not use PDF Writer to create your PDF files from Quark.

First you need to set-up distiller, decided what kind of PDF you require. Do you want lores PDF’s that look good on the screen, but are not hires? Or do you want to hires PDF’s that have to be correct to go to print.
You can set-up distiller to watch folders as well, which is what I would do.

Then open your page in Quark and using a good print driver, make PS files (Postscript Files) into the watched folders you have set-up.
If you can't fix it in 20 call someone who can.

Matt, you can do that from Q5 now - rather than printing to the watched folder, you can print to PDF which does exactly the same operation but is a simpler concept for the user. Cos let's face it, they need simple...

But other than that, I agree with Matt. The built in PDF writer is for amateurs. Anyone creating PDFs seriously needs to get Distiller which isn't expensive for what it does.

You could do it with Version 4 as well (so long as you had the PDF Xtension i believe, but it was always better to make PS files If you can't fix it in 20 call someone who can.

hi there.
i've created a pdf from a quark file, but it opens up at a 155% view in acrobat reader. what adjustments do i have to make so that it opens up at 100% view in reader.

Open it in Acrobat (not reader) and set the document properties to 100%.

In Acrobat (the full progam), your first menu has a Document Info=> Open submenu, where you can set views to "fit page", "fit width" or a percentage, along with other preferences. Handy if you want to control how the reader first meets your document. (Handier yet if the Acrobat Job Setup would allow this to be set as a preference!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back