Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quark Express Passport 6.1 - No Borders Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

handleodhran

Technical User
Dec 10, 2004
IE
I'm trying to create a document that has no borders. I have an existing template that measures 1130mm x 830mm (w x h). All I need from the template is the centre piece which measures 1100mm x 800mm. Normally I convert this file to a PDF and get it printed out in town. I cut the excess border which I don't need, after it's been printed. The file I need must always measure exactly 1110 x 800. The problem I've found is that because of the existing border, sometimes the prints are up to 1cm out. The printers then have to increase or decrease the size of the print until the final result measures exactly. I've been told that the reason for this is that in the printing process an additional border is put in place, hence there needs to be a certain degree of manipulation before it's correct. They tell me the way around this is to create a file with no borders. I thought this would be pretty straightforward. I've copied all the bits which I need (measuring 1110 x 800) and created a new file with the same measurements. I put each of the 4 margin guides to "0". I seem to have no choice but to have "1" Column & a gutter width of "1.059" mm. The problem is that when I then paste the bit I need, into the new document, I can only push the document up a certain amount. I'm left with around half a cm too much space at the top, leaving half a cm too little at the bottom. As a result I'm missing the bottom half cm of my document. The Blue line shows the guidelines for the box - don't understand why I can't bring my own document right into the exact measurements. My knowledge of quark is pretty basic - is there a simple fix for what I'm looking to do?

Just following on from this - If you go to you'll see the type of posters I'm designing. The measurements have to be exact as I've got a sheet of perspex with the centre cut out, which covers the sheet exactly. As explained, I'm having hassle with the print outs. The guys doing the printing explained that the way around this is to either have no border or have crop marks. I couldn't see how to put crop marks in, so I was trying to set it up with no border. For some reason I can't get it to fix exactly.

...i have read through your post, without seeing the file in question i am finding it difficult to understand what the issue might be...

...feel free to upload it here and I will have a look at it for you:

...choose your file and give it a description, then click upload, copy the special link and post this to my email address which is:

ap (at) apepp (dot) info

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back