Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quark and OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.

marig

IS-IT--Management
Sep 16, 2002
US
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I cannot find a definitive answer...

I purchased new Macs for our Design dept. They came with OS X --- no ability to boot to OS 9.

I hear scary things about running Quark 5 on OS X, from it not installing at all... to it crashing all the time. Will Quark 5 install & run properly on a Mac with OS X that has no ability to boot into 9?

I read that Quark 5 runs in the "Classic Environment" of OS X. I'm assuming this works like Outlook 2001 does on the mac..it starts up Classic when Outlook starts up. Or do I have to somehow turn Classic on all the time..

Lastly, do you think the demo version of Quark on their website a good enough test?? (I haven't tried it yet)

Thanks for any & all info.

I've just set up such a system about a week ago. Can't say I had any problems, and it's been functioning perfectly in a busy production environment. It does run in Classic mode, but you don't need to worry about that as it will start up when it's needed.

You should look around for some utilities or something that might allow you to boot directly into OS 9 if Quark 5 has problems in Classic. We use Quark 5 at work in OS 9 (no OSX on the machine) and it works fine and I have never had any problems with using the Classic environment at home on my Dual 800 which I run OSX full time. I even play games in Classic although some complain and say they wont run which I dont complain about. I dont expect to do stuff like that in Classic but I can use Dreamweaver and Photoshop and all kinds of stuff in Classic just fine. Not that I need to, I have all my apps for OSX. Still, I am sure lots of people are going to be upset that they cant boot directly into OS 9 and something is bound to be created to allow you to boot directly into OS 9.

Once Quark 6 comes out (fairly soon.. I have seen Quark 6 OSX beta builds around) it will be for OSX and you wont have to worry. Until then, you might check out InDesign. We are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back