Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quark 7 Mac freezes when I scroll down

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloud9design

Technical User
Feb 1, 2007
US
I have a 20 page brochure I am working on. The document worked fine for 2 months. Now within one week every time I open the document and scroll down beyond page 1 it freezes. I have tried exporting the document as a 6.0 then importing back into 7. I can't figure out what the problem is. I have not added any new images, color or fonts. However, I need to make some text edits and right now can't seem to figure out how to make that happen. Anyone have a solution? I am working on a new intel Mac with 1 gig of ram if that helps. I am in need of a solution.

...first off you could try disabling some extensions, you could try trashing the quark preferences, or updating to quark 7.1 here:

...i have come across this problem myself in Quark 6.5, this turned out to be a corrupted page, and it only takes one unfortuately, my eventual solution was to transfer the pages into a new document using thumbnail mode and save it fresh...

Andrew

I wanted to share what I have learned...

Quark crash support told me from my bug reports that it was a font issue. Apparently font caches on Mac OS X are a real issue for many folks, but one lovely gentleman has created a free, yes you heard me right, FREE software application that will cleanse your system of it's evil font caches.

FontNuke removes Quark/Adobe/System font cache files. By removing the font cache files, the system/Quark (in my case) is forced to rebuild from scratch new font cache files, just as you would refresh a web page.

What are some problems caused by bad 'font cache' files?

Fonts which have been added to the system or activated with 3rd party software, do not show up in application font lists. When multiple styles for a similar font family are active, the font displays as a different style then is selected (e.g.; Garamond-Bold is selected but displaying as Garamond-Italic)
Text is garbled or random characters are inserted
Text disappears entirely
Applications stall or quit immediately after launch
Fonts look correct on screen, but when printed:
convert to Courier or other random fonts
do not print at all, an error may be generated or nothing happens at all
...many, many more. (I will update this list as I remember/encounter scenarios.)

I ran FontNuke and my plagued Quark document opened up like a gem. Hooray!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back