Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quark 7 crashes using opacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

magneeto

Technical User
Aug 8, 2006
US
Is anyone else having problems with Quark 7 crashing when using opacity and shading or sometimes the shading works but doesn't print out correctly? If so what did you do about it?
Thanks

...yes, went and bought indesign instead...

andrew

If one is able to go back and look at discussion about transparency 4 years ago, one will find many claiming (often incorrectly) that InDesign was not fit for production when it came to transparency. QuarkXPress users asserted that it was too new of a concept and that RIPs could not handle it.

(irony)

The bugs with QuarkXPress' transparency should be of no surprise as this is the first Quark release offering the feature. If you want a stable app that handles transparency well, use one that has been perfecting it for at least 4 years and can export layered media. QuarkXPress flattens all of its output.

I'm not gambling any critical work with Quark until a few more updates appear. Transparency effects have been done and will continue to be done in InDesign until Quark offers a reason to return for serious work. Enjoy the other features of the v7 upgrade but don't expect much with their first attempt at transparency.

I just installed Quark 7 and have a list of issues. Tech support's remedy is to turn off Xtensions (which disables key features!), but nonetheless, did not work and I'm still experiencing a slew of problems. As of this morning, Quark has crashed 3 times, and I've lost my last set of edits. I've been using Quark for years, but this version is horrible, and seriously makes me want to switch to InDesign!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back