Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quantum SuperLoader3 DLT-S4 vs Exebyte Magnum 224 LTO3 vs Overland Neo

Status
Not open for further replies.

markm75

IS-IT--Management
Oct 12, 2006
US
The data:

Our data size is about 800gb per week (weekly full backups, 4 sets of tapes for a month, 3 of the weeks would be held off site at any given time, there would also be 4 quarters from the year held off site too).. So for LTO3 this is around 24 tapes ($40 a piece) and about 16 tapes for LTO3 ($80 a piece).

At any given time there would probably only be 2 tapes for DLT or 3 tapes for LTO3 in the library, then swap out each week.

Our data is backed up to the Backup Server's SATAII raid 5 array drives.. that data would be "read" off and onto the tape unit via U320 scsi cable.. I'm assuming the max read on a SATA II would fall at around 60 MB/sec (this is the speed of DLT-s4) vs 80 MB/sec on LTO3 (wouldnt be able to achieve this rate ?) Our storage server's capacity is currently at 1.67 TB.

The budget:

Ideally around $6500 including the tapes.

The units considering:

(this one is our last choice):
The Exebyte unit has the ability to have 24 tapes and 2 drives.. but the drives must be half high tape units. It comes with 1 FHeight LTO3 unit, meaning to go LTO3 or even LTO4, I would have to buy two new units, almost the cost, if not more as just buying say two LTO3 libraries etc.

The Superloader3 DLT-s4 (first choice) has either 8 slots for $4800 or 16 slots (2 eight slot cartridges) for $5200 (not sure if there would be a big advantage with having the 8 extra slots.. given that even in 4 years, we may not need to store more than say 4 TB of data.

Overland NEO 2000 LTO3 unit $9000 or LTO4 for $16999.

**Can anyone comment on the advantages of picking the more expensive NEO (overland) vs the Quantum Superloader 3? Any differences in how the robotics work?

IE: I'm assuming with either system I must take the whole tray (cart) out to get the tapes out?

*A friend said he had loads of trouble getting a Quantum Superloader to work properly whereas the Overland was easy.. has anyone found this to be true?

Thanks for any tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back