Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quality C# Book 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

blairacuda

Technical User
Sep 3, 2009
US
Hello All,

Does anyone know a good C# reference book?

Thanks in advance.

There are several I can think of. But to answer your question, I have a few. Are you new to programming or just new to C#? Do you have some C# experience? Are you do web or Windows apps? What version of C# (2.0? 3.0? 3.5?)

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP,

c# via clr 3rd edition. I have a copy of 2nd edition (2.0) there are a few changes with 3.x but not nearly the difference between 1.1 to 2.0.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

@craigber - i am fairly new to programming. i have written a couple small apps in VB and C# and am currently learning C++ but i want to start focusing on C# and grasping all it has to offer. it will be used for windows apps. the app that i wrote was in 3.5.

@jmeckley - looks like that book is for a really experienced programmer. do you think it would be a good for a guy that is just currently paddling around in the shallow end of the pool? i am looking to take the floaties off but don't want to jump in the shark tank just yet.

C# via CLR is everything you want to know about C#. There isn't anything complex/advanced about C# it's just another OOP language The only difference between C# and other OOPs (VB, java, ruby) is *how* you go about OOP. syntax and language features.

if you can write OO code in one language then you can write OO code in any language. you just need the syntax. Now if you don't understand OOP you have a different skill set you should focus on; not just a language, but the concepts behind the language.

For that I recommend Domain Driven Desgin by Evan, Head First Design Patterns as an introduction to OOP Patterns. and then research the concepts of S.O.L.I.D. and patterns by the "Gang of Four". these concepts apply to OOP, not a specific language.

great online resources are
lostechies.com and codebetter.com. there are others but these 2 aggregate feeds are a good starting point.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

My best advice is to go to Amazon.com and look at the rankings and reviews and get one that best fits how you learn. I've used Essential C# and a couple of the MCTS Training Kits.

Since you are new to programming, IMO, Domain Driven Design is too advanced. I hate the Heads Up series. I found their method too distracting to how I learn. I like Design Patterns Explained much better. But, Design Patterns should come later in your learning process.

IMO, you'll be better off doing things this way:

- C# syntax, .NET framework, Visual Studio
- Refactoring, unit testing
- Good OOP knowledge, SOLID
- Code analysis tools (FxCop, StyleCop, etc)
- Design patterns

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP,

this is where Craig and I seem to diverge. do you want to learn OOP or do you want to learn c# syntax? if you're just looking for syntax than a C# reference card is all you need. But, knowing the syntax and writing maintainable code are two different things.

If I was hiring a mechanic i want someone who knows how a car works, not just someone how can drive a car. I see programmers in the same light. i want devs who know OOP, not just syntax.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

much thanks to both of your in-sights!

i am learning the OOP concepts right now and have as good a grasp on them as a newbie can... i need to practice, practice, practice them and i would like to do that with C# as i am told it is the future of the company i work at. so, no, i am not looking for a beginner's programming book but a beginner's c# book would be great. maybe that is a contradictory statement, though...

i think for my needs and where i'm at in the learning process, craig's path seems to be the one to follow.

Chris Blair
Crystal, InstallShield, branching out in other programming realms.

good luck chris.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

Jason,

I agree, OOP knowledge is important. I knew when I meant when I posted that message, but didn't explain it. Basic OOP knowledge is important to get going, but I think refactoring and unit testing can build on those basics. You have to understand the basics well before digging into SOLID.

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP,

ok, now I see where you're coming from.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

Perhaps a bit late to this conversation, but you might also try the Head First series.

The Head First C# seems pretty good for beginning C# developers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reason and free inquiry are the only effectual agents against error; they are the natural enemies of error and of error only.

Thomas Jefferson

It's definitely not for everyone. But for those of us who are easily distracted and fall asleep while reading some of the other technical volumes available, I've found it to be rather helpful. It would probably be best to thumb through a copy at the bookstore before purchasing it (that's what I did, anyway).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reason and free inquiry are the only effectual agents against error; they are the natural enemies of error and of error only.

Thomas Jefferson

we have 3 developers at work that have used the head first book to learn c#. one is a database guy that is most comfortable in delphi and two are c++ guys. they all agreed that the book was decent in teaching the concepts but they also all agreed that it was distracting. one of them in particular is already scatterbrained, though, said he really enjoyed using the book.

i am intrigued with the link craig posted. a c# book written by the guys who came up with c# sounds great.

right now i am just using google to find the info i need. but i definitely need to get a desk reference soon.

Chris Blair
Crystal, InstallShield, branching out in other programming realms.

Well, to throw more fuel on to the fire, as the saying goes, have a look at: C# programming: From problem analysis to program design by Barbara Doyle. It's a college text book. Yes, brand new it's expensive. However, you can find it on Amazon (and probably other places) used, in good condition for around $50. It teaches basic C# with lots of examples, and OOP.

I also like Beginning Microsoft Visual C# 2008 by Wrox.
Also try a google search for: free beginning C# pdf. there is lots of free info out there.

APress, SAMS and Wrox books are good places to start if youre looking for programming books.

There are lots of sites out there with tutorials as well.IT Careers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back