Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

quad core or dual core

Status
Not open for further replies.

shumi99

Programmer
Mar 3, 2010
US
Hi,

I mostly use VFP applications and I'm considering up grdaing my PC. I was wondering if it's better to buy one with dualcore or quadcore?

what do ya'll think?

Thanks,
MS

VFP is not making use of more than one core. Then again even if you only run one VFP app it's not the only process and you always can profit of more performance.

Bye, Olaf.

OK, so I just want to confirm. I'll be getting WIN7 64 bit with quad core. Will VFP8 be compatible?

please confirm

WIN7 64 bit with quad core. Will VFP8 be compatible"
I an running VFP9 with no issues I assume VFP 8 would be ok.

Also it is possible to have VFP use the power of Muliple-cores just not right out of the box.

See:

e.g. ParallelFox
Parallel Processing Library for Visual FoxPro

Lion Crest Software Services
Anthony L. Testi
President

better to buy one with dualcore or quadcore"
All things equal (and they never are <smile> ) go with the one with the faster CPU. (Of couse some reprogramming with Parallel can change that situation.)

A bigger question is what is the limiting factor in the current computer, CPU Speed? Harddrive access? Enough RAM? When upgrading concentrat on the bottle neck. Of course as soon as you fix one bottle neck, something else happens.

Lion Crest Software Services
Anthony L. Testi
President

Only vfp9 sp2 has some cosmetical fixes for Vista/Win7 graphical userinterface Aero, still you can make use of VFP8. But nothing blocking basic functionality.

Bye, Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back