Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QPopper HELP!! Installed but don't know how to run and make it work!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedson99

Technical User
Jun 6, 2001
CA
Hello everyone, I am having trouble with Qpopper...I am sure I have installed it properly with the latest version...but how do I know if it is actually running? Also, how can I TEST IT? So far, I assumed it is running and I kept sending mails to the Linux box (DNS/domain set up already with proper domain names).

For example, I already have an official email address for the Linux box for ROOT as:

root@mydomain.net

Sendmail will send my mails no problem to the destination but now that I installed Qpopper, how do I TEST or even, how do I receive mails replied by people back to the Linux root email address? Please help me out in testing and direction to make it run, thanks in advance!!

Tedson99

Hello Tedson99

Have you tried poppin' to a different account than root yet? Some (most?) Poppers don't allow access on root's mail account by default.

It might be helpful to create a different user account (e.g. tedson99) for POP access to your root's mail queue.

Create a file called .forward in /root, containing tedson99 as text string, and all mail to root will be forwarded to the tedson99 account from where you should be able to access it via POP.

Maybe there's also some switch in QPopper, which allows you to override this &quot;no-root-POP&quot; rule, but since one shouldn't use root to often (...yeah, here we go rantin' again <g>), it might be wise to generally forward your root mail.

But maybe this isn't the solution to your problem at all, so I better shut up now... :)

so long,
markus

Thanks a lot for the help...but hmmm...I am sure I can use root to access as root is treated as Administrator of Qpopper itself, I think!! Well, to markus or everyone, please keep feeding me with the KNOW-HOWS of the Qpopper...most importantly, how I know it is running and to TEST IT!! Thanks a lot and hope to hear from you Linux fans out there soon! :-V

Why not just use a pop capable client to retrieve mail... If you have any gui running, and netscape installed, just configure netscape mail with all the details...
AV
tnedor@yahoo.com

also, do remember to enable the POP 3 line in /etc/inetd.conf.. and restart inetd.... make sure u have the propper popper access rights in /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back