Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Qos Video settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyccIT

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2009
US
I have a Distance Learning room that uses and MCU and Gatekeeper. I need to give the video packets the highest priority for this room. The connection goes from the room to a 2924 switch then through a 3640 router to a 2621 router on the other side of two T1's. First what are the settings needed to do this and second what device(s) do I need to configure them on.

Hello
Not enough info to work with but for starters:

class-map match-any GOLD
match protocol rtp

policy-map GOLD_FIRST
match class GOLD
priority percent 40

interface Serial0/1/0
service-policy output GOLD_FIRST

Please not that above conf is just for starters.You may want to put in a second class of traffic in CBWFQ and also give the exact priority bandwith or KBps,to get this you will have to calculate the amount of traffic that the MCU is using.
Regards
ps.You can use ip nbar protocol-discovery command under the LAN an WAN interface to see how much bandwith this app is using.To see the results:

show ip nbar protocol-discovery stats byte-count

Regards

On your switch enable autoQoS and then on each interface the traffic is coming in to, do trust DSCP.
On your Video machine, make sure QoS tagging is on. It should be AF41 by default.
On the router do what Minue says, but unless your WAN provider provides CoS, you have little control over that aspect of the path.
Also, some WAN links might strip your DSCP tags so check what you see coming in off the WAN link to see if the DSCP tags are preserved - show ip mls qos.
If the tags are being stripped, "trust DSCP" won't work for the video packets that have crossed the WAN link and you will need to create a policy like Minue's, although I would classify the traffic according to source IP to be more precise.

Thanks for the input. I will be making those changes and hopefully that will take care of the issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back