Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QOS Profile creation stacked X450e-24p

Status
Not open for further replies.

dphoneguy24

Technical User
Oct 30, 2003
US
Does anyone know if you can create a qosprofile like QP7 etc. in a stacked switch configuration on any of the X450e-24p switches?

I have 4 that are stacked and it won't let me create other qpx profiles - says - cannot be created in stacked mode

This sucks... The only two profiles that are in the switch then are qp1 and qp8

version 12.2.2.11 - is it supported on a newer version?

thanks,
Dphoneguy24

Never mind, I figured it out - qp7 is reserved. I am able to create qp2 thru qp6

Old firmware (12.0, 12.1) reserved QP 6 and 7 for stacking, newer (yours) allows QP6.

dphoneguy24,

I would suggest upgrading to 12.3.3 if I were you. The 12.2.2 release was put for a limited time to introduce new hardware. Extreme quickly moved to 12.3.1, 12.3.2, 12.3.3.

In new software supporting stacking (12.2, 12.3, 12.4), QP7 is unavailable because it used for the stack control.

In older software supporting stacking (12.1), QP6 and QP7 were unavailable becuase they were used for stack control. Luckily Extreme gave us one queue back in the newer code.

ExtremeTek

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Ok so have i got it right in saying

on 12.3.3

when you stack QP7 is reserved and Priority 6 is reserved for traffic passing through the stack.

so to seperate voice and data would you do the below using QP5 priority 5, would this give Voice traffic priority above data traffice but not above stack traffic.

*Sorry im new to the extreme side*

Config vlan default delete ports all
create vlan voice-avaya
config vlan voice-avaya tag 40
config vlan voice-avaya ipaddress 192.168.41.10
config vlan voice-avaya add port 1 – 24 tagged
enable ipforwarding voice-avaya
create vlan data-avaya
config vlan data-avaya add port 1 – 24 untagged
enable ipforwarding data-avaya

Configure Default Gateway:

config iproute add default 192.168.42.10

Configure QoS profile for Avaya VoIP traffic:

create qosprofile QP5
configure dot1p type 5 qosprofile QP5

Configure VLAN to QOS Profile:

configure vlan voice-avaya qosprofile QP5

ACA - IP Office
ACS - IP Office
ACSS-SME

Think Priority and dot1p type separately. In a stack on 12.3, you can create QP6 for voice. Or use QP5, really your call. However, by the command:

"configure dot1p type 5 qosprofile QP5"

This is assuming you have the phones set to send 802.1p as 5 - keep in mind the default is 6 for Avaya. So if you're tagging phone traffic (looks like you are from the config) then you are not prioritizing voice traffic from the phones.

A little known detail about QoS is that it is enforced in certain orders and requirements. With your config, if you aren't sending 802.1p as 5, even if it's voice VLAN traffic it isn't prioritizied. Only untagged Voice VLAN traffic is prioritized by adding the QoS profile to the VLAN.

thanks im getting my head round it a bit better now,

so what your saying is i can still reate a QP6 with priority 6 and then assign that to the voice-avaya vlan

this will make voice-avaya vlan prioritised...is this correct?

ACA - IP Office
ACS - IP Office
ACSS-SME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back