Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QOS on 5520 switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

mchauhan333

Technical User
Jul 2, 2012
AU
Hi guys,

I usually work on cisco switches and have set in QoS on the Cisco routers. However, there is no Qos on the Nortel switches on either side of these cisco routers and it seems that the traffic is being dropped.

Could anyone guide me how to config a Qos to respect all the Qos Values that i am propagating from the routers?

Thanks!

I used the manual and just followed what it said.

I ended up with this config, which seemed to work OK for me:

vlan create 50 name "Voice" type port
vlan create 60 name "Data" type port
vlan ports 1/1-47 tagging unTagPvidOnly
vlan ports 1/48 tagging tagAll
vlan members 1 NONE
vlan members 50 1/ALL
vlan members 60 1/ALL
vlan ports 1/1-47 pvid 60
vlan ports 1/48 pvid 1

First I recall you had to configure LLDP, I think this was because there was the choice of LLDP, LLDP-MED, or ADAC:
lldp port 1/1-47 status txAndRx config-notification
lldp port 1/48 status txAndRx
lldp tx-tlv port 1/1-47,local-mgmt-addr port-desc sys-cap sys-desc sys-name
lldp tx-tlv port 1/1-47 dot1 vlan-name 50

And then the QoS:
qos if-group name Uplink class trusted
qos if-group name Users class unrestricted
qos if-assign port 1/1-47 name Users
qos if-assign port 1/48 name Uplink

So really, read the manual - I remember I read it and wrote my QoS config for this network in the space of a 90-minute flight coming back from meeting the client, and it seemed to work fine a few weeks later when I flew back and impletmented it off what I had written.

First of all, thanks mate for your inputs here...

I'll quickly give a brief setup and the requirement, followed by my planning based on the reading so far that I could make use of.
The setup is -
There are 2x cisco WAN routers running QoS on the egress traffic intended to the WAN Cloud (Satellite).
Each WAN router has a nortel switch where we need to make changes so that the traffic marked by routers is regarded.

So my idea was to do one of the two things:
1. make the uplink port trust as you have shown in your case and leave the rest unrestricted.
or
2. make all the ports unrestricted. this is cos while i was going through a manual from the Avaya,it mentioned the following:

"With a port role combination of un-restricted, the DSCP value is passed as-is and is not looked at by the ERS 5500 internal QoS mapping. This does not apply to the p-bit which is looked at, honoured, and mapped according to the QoS priority mapping table."
Now I was not sure if this QoS priority mapping table it is referring to, is the table mapping the DSCP with 802.1p or something else??
If it is the that mapping, then according to the below map-table taken from the nortel switch that I have taken, the packets hitting the switch from the router would regard the DSCP value (as it is) and map it to the corresponding value from the below table.

Nortel-5520#sho qos egressmap
DSCP 802.1p Priority Drop Precedence Name
____ _______________ _______________ ________________
0 0 High Drop Standard Service
1 0 High Drop Standard Service
[removed for brevity]

25 0 High Drop Standard Service
26 4 Low Drop Gold Service
27 0 High Drop Standard Service
[removed for brevity]
39 0 High Drop Standard Service
40 6 Low Drop Premium Service
41 0 High Drop Standard Service
42 0 High Drop Standard Service
43 0 High Drop Standard Service
44 0 High Drop Standard Service
45 0 High Drop Standard Service
color gray]46 6 Low Drop Premium Service[/color]
[removed for brevity]

So as an example, voice traffic marked as "EF" would be mapped to 802.1p queue 6 which has low drop and premium service. Please correct if i am going on the wrong path....

Thanks again.

Hi I have worked on cisco switches but..
I want to configure nortel 5510 ..
have configured vlan and routing
i can see port ip address from any commands can any one help on this..

If your question is not about QoS, then piggy-backing it onto this thread isn't helpful. Start a new thread with your question and I'll see what I can dig out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back