Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QoS mgmt with tc on Linux Gateway - CableModem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketgeek

Programmer
Sep 23, 2006
US
I have a RoadRunner (residential) cable modem as my WAN connection. This connects to a Linux box (2.4.33 kernel), which links on a separate ethernet card to a switch for the house. Hanging off that switch is several computers, and two gizmos for VOIP, VOIP1 and VOIP2.

My rr service is about 5 m down and 384k up. The up is pretty stable, but the down varies allot (which is OK).

tc is used to configure bandwidth for the two VOIPs so they each get 140kbits, and then the rest of the world gets the remaining bandwidth.

Here's where I'm getting lost...the way I understand it there are two bandwidths to throttle: the uplink and the downlink. How do I specify which is which when I build the qdiscs, etc.?

I have a simplistic configuration, which emphiracally works OK, but I don't think I really understand what I'm doing.

Has anyone done this before, who can give me a reality check?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back