Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

qmail smtproutes not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djkoelkast

Technical User
Apr 9, 2005
NL
Hi all,

my problem is as follows:

I have a Fedora Core 2 machine with qmail 1.05 installed on it.
My ISP blocks port 25, so I can't use the local smtp service, however I can use their smtp. I tried the following:

in /var/qmail/conrol/ I made a file called: smtproutes
the file looks like this:

:smtp.quicknet.nl

I tried to send mail through php mail() and through outlook on a windows machine (to the domain running on my server) but it doesn't work!

I also tried if my ISP accepts relay form my domains:

[root@localhost root]# telnet smtp.quicknet.nl 25
Trying 213.73.255.46...
Connected to smtp.quicknet.nl.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 vmx70.multikabel.net ESMTP
MAIL FROM: info@ad-it.nl
250 2.1.0 info@ad-it.nl... Sender ok
RCPT TO: info@de-stern.nl
250 2.1.5 info@de-stern.nl... Recipient ok
DATA
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
To: De Stern
Subject: test

test
250 2.0.0 j39CsqOl025399 Message accepted for delivery

and it works!

I also looked up the queue:

[root@localhost root]# qmail-qstat
messages in queue: 0
messages in queue but not yet preprocessed: 0

Nothing in the log files.

It still doesn't work! When I send a mail through telnet (via the smtp of my provider, from my own domain) to another mailaddress anywhere in the world it works... But mail() and pop3 mail don't! Help!

Hi djkoelkast

I would check the file permissions first. Then if that is not a problem then reload/restart the qmail configuration.

Regards,

Mon

file permissions of smtproutes?
how should they be? 777? 644?

I already reinstalled qmail and restarted everything

I did a chmod on the file smtproutes as well on the file sendmail (yes it IS the qmail one) but still nothing!

any other hints?

djkoelkast,

My working smtproutes file has the following owner and permissions:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 71 Apr 6 11:17 smtproutes

I understand that smtproutes is used by the qmail-remote task - check that this is available and compiled OK.

I would also add in a specific domain route first, in addition, and see whether that works - maybe you can't have the default route as just the first entry ???

The other thing to do is check with vqdmin and see if the 'Global Qmail Control' configuration can 'see' the smtproute file and it's content:

Regards,

Mon

don't know how you see the dir like you did
I reinstalled qmail completely and it is ok (it is from a RPM file).

I made smtproutes myself through pico.

vqadmin won't install, the error message:

configure: error: No vpopmail user

djkoelkast,

My working qmail/vpopmail.mysql/courier-imap server was installed using the excellent qmailrocks guide found at:

This has complete installation instructions for each of the components used in the qmail server - including vpopmail and vqadmin/qmailadmin.

I would suggest you follow this guide to make sure that the installations are OK.

Regards,

Mon

well the problem is: the original installation was done by plesk, the upgrade went ok, but still everything is done by plesk so I can't just change everything en as Plesk installed and configured it I assume it is configured ok.

djkoelkast,

Sorry - apart from my above suggestions, I do not know what else could be the problem.

Can you confirm whether you are able to send/receive emails locally on the server - i.e for local domains?

Regards,

Mon

I can send mails through telnet, but I never recieve a mail on a domain that's on the server. Outlook on Windows does make a connection to the server, but there is never mail. Whenever I mail to a domain on my server (which does have an e-mail address installed) it never arrives.

I always get bounces after 24, 48, 96 hours and after that it failes.

The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:

info@ad-it.nl
Delay reason: Connection timed out

I have no clue!

hi,

going back to your first post you said:

I have a Fedora Core 2 machine with qmail 1.05 installed on it.

Now, I understand that latest stable version of qmail is 1.03.

If that was just a typo then don't worry. If not, then I suggest your try to install qmail 1.03 instead!

Also, you first post indicated that you did a test telnet to the smtp server you wanted your qmail to route to - however, you also stated that you checked the qmail queue.

Now, this is not a valid test - since the test telnet email is for the remote smtp server - thus your qmail server wont't even see this email.

Please can you explain again your qmail setup - what domains it is hosting and how it is meant to route the emails that users connected to it are sending.

There could also be issue of you connected users not being able to send/relay emails?

Regards,

Mon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back