Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Qmail SMTP and Qmail-scanner-queue Processes seems to be stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirius81

Programmer
Dec 11, 2007
DE
Dear Forum,

I installed Qmail on one of our servers 2 years ago, according to the qmailrocks tutorial. Since a couple of weeks I recognized some "strange" processes which increase daily.
If I do a "ps aux" I'll get almost 50 of these entries:

vpopmail 28751 0.0 0.1 2860 1332 ? S Nov16 0:00 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd domain.com /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /bin/true
qscand 28752 0.0 0.5 7476 5240 ? S Nov16 0:00 /usr/bin/perl -T /dev/fd/3//var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl

I just want to know what it could be, I'm afraid of killing those processes since some mail probably get lost then.
A "qmailctl stat" tells me that I have around 70 mails in the queue which is all spam.

So it would be nice if anyone could help me soon, if you need further information like logs etc. don't hesitate to ask for it.

Thanks in advance.
Chris.

Nothing strange about those processes for a vpopmail solution running...

first row is your smtpd listener and its authentication daemon
second line is your anti-spam, anti-virus scanner.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Thanks for the swift reply, the only thing which is confusing me a bit is the date. As you could see its from Nov16 like almost all of them.
I thought the supervise script is starting them if a mail arrives/leaves, so the date should be updated. Right?!?

Regards Chris.

Hmmm. ok you're right, it's unlikely that an smtpd daemon would remain as a viable process for about a month. Certainly the qmail-scanner should not. Might be a failed session.

You could kill those off without a problem.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back