Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

qmail-ldap and qmail/vpopmail/ldap questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

monideth

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2003
GB
All,

I am currently running qmail with courier-imap/vpopmail/mysql-backend - qmailrocks.org based.

I have a question regarding virtual domains and ldap support for qmail.

I am I right in the following assumption:

qmail natively supports virtual domains. However, vpopmail is an add-on to automate the creation/management of the users and virtual domains?

If this assumption is true then can I assume the following:

qmail-ldap will offer me to have the configuration in an LDAP directory, and it also supports virtual domains natively.

Thus, if I use qmail-ldap then I do not need to use vpopmail? But then how does courier-imap authenticate? Can it call qmail-ldap to authenticate the user?

I have played about with the vpopmail ldap-backend support but realised that the accounts it creates does not have the email address of the account in it (or I currently don't know how to add this 'feature') - thus, it cannot be used as a central LDAP address book.

Does qmail-ldap accounts contain the email address of the user in the account?

In vpopmail mysql support you could have the alias/forwards stored in a mysql table. How are aliases/forwards supported in qmail-ldap. Can that be stored in the ldap directory - and stored with an email address so that it can be used as part of the global address book.

I would appreciate if somebody could clear up these queries - I'd like a qmail ldap based setup but would like to have all the above features too!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Mon

All,

I found that if I modify the vpopmail/ldap qmailuser schema to include 'mail' from the inetorgperson schema then I can add (manually) this property to the created account.

But that still leaves the problem of automatically using ldap for aliases/forwards - currently vpopmail does not allow aliases/forwards in ldap.

Maybe I should just stick with my vpopmail/mysql + ldap address book solution - since it works already!

Regards,

Mon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back