Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

qmail error 4.4.1 Can only send to specific domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

clancyfan

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2004
CA
Hello,

Currently I am running the latest qmail on a dedicated Linux server running Red Hat 9.0. The server has horde installed which I use to access my email through the webmail interface.

I can only send emails to one specific domain (that I have found so far). All others give the following error:

Sorry, I wasn't able to establish an SMTP connection. (#4.4.1)

I have another dedicated server, same Linux install same setup that works just fine. When I am sending mails I am always using the webmail interface. I do not allow relaying through my server so no clients are using the server as their smtp server.

The only reason I could see that the server would only allow to the one domain is if I was using that domains smtp server somehow.

Any ideas?? Thank you all in advance.

No I don't. Should I? If so, what is the format of this file. I will do some research on that file as well.

Here is my qmail info:

user-ext delimiter: -.
paternalism (in decimal): 2.
silent concurrency limit: 1000.
subdirectory split: 23.
user ids: 2021, 2020, 2022, 0, 2023, 2520, 2521, 2522.
group ids: 2020, 2520.

badmailfrom: (Default.) Any MAIL FROM is allowed.

bouncefrom: (Default.) Bounce user name is MAILER-DAEMON.

bouncehost: (Default.) Bounce host name is u15156332.onlinehome-server.com.

concurrencylocal: (Default.) Local concurrency is 10.

concurrencyremote: (Default.) Remote concurrency is 20.

databytes: (Default.) SMTP DATA limit is 0 bytes.

defaultdomain: (Default.) Default domain name is u15156332.onlinehome-server.com.

defaulthost: (Default.) Default host name is u15156332.onlinehome-server.com.

doublebouncehost: (Default.) 2B recipient host: u15156332.onlinehome-server.com.

doublebounceto: (Default.) 2B recipient user: postmaster.

envnoathost: (Default.) Presumed domain name is u15156332.onlinehome-server.com.

helohost: (Default.) SMTP client HELO host name is u15156332.onlinehome-server.com.

idhost: (Default.) Message-ID host name is u15156332.onlinehome-server.com.

localiphost: (Default.) Local IP address becomes u15156332.onlinehome-server.com.

locals:
Messages for localhost are delivered locally.

me: My name is u15156332.onlinehome-server.com.

percenthack: (Default.) The percent hack is not allowed.

plusdomain: (Default.) Plus domain name is u15156332.onlinehome-server.com.

qmqpservers: (Default.) No QMQP servers.

queuelifetime: (Default.) Message lifetime in the queue is 604800 seconds.

rcpthosts:
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at mydigitalvault.biz.

morercpthosts: (Default.) No effect.

morercpthosts.cdb: (Default.) No effect.

smtpgreeting: (Default.) SMTP greeting: 220 u15156332.onlinehome-server.com.

smtproutes: (Default.) No artificial SMTP routes.

timeoutconnect: (Default.) SMTP client connection timeout is 60 seconds.

timeoutremote: (Default.) SMTP client data timeout is 1200 seconds.

timeoutsmtpd: (Default.) SMTP server data timeout is 1200 seconds.

virtualdomains:
Virtual domain: mydigitalvault.biz:3

servercert.pem: I have no idea what this file does.

Arg, I have messed around with smtproutes to no avail. Whats strange is that I have no idea why it has chosen the specific domain (@Shaw.ca) to work. It makes no sense. I never inputed that domain name anywhere. Why why why ....

Ahhhhh,.... I'll bet that Shaw has a "lock" on outgoing Port 25 traffic to restrict outbound traffic. Talk to them about this.

Note: you do NOT need an 'smtproutes' file, I was checking if you had one by accident.

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

Good suggestion but the server is not even on the Shaw network so this could be the answer. What I ended up doing was deleting the entire domain name on the server and recreating it with all the user accounts. Now I can also send to my MSN address, but still having issues with a specific domain. Very very weird.

Okay, the mystery continues. Still can't send to many domains but since the recreation of all accounts I can send to a few more, such as any MSN.com account.

This is oh so confusing. Just in case someone is thinking firewall, I dropped my firewall completely and it made no difference.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the issue here? Selective domains are working, others are not. I no longer receive the error 4.4.1 since the account recreation.

Have you tried telnetting to TCP/25 of those domains that are NOT working to ensure that the network connectivity is not a problem?

Yes, and I am unable to telnet to the server with the domain specified. In fact using the command below, I am unable to telnet into any of the domains, even the ones I can send email to. I am using the following command

telnet 25

is that correct command?

Okay so I have managed to get a step further with this problem. It appears that it has nothing to do with my mail server.

The hosting company provides an optional mail server to use if you don't want to run your own. I created an account on that server and the problem is still occurring! Looks like I cant send mail from my domain on my second server to any domains on my first server. However, I am able to go from server1 to server2.

And the mystery continues. Time to place a call to my hosting company.

Yeah, many IP providers block outgoing port 25 as an anti-spam protection for themselves.

You can use an 'smtproutes' file to send ALL of your outgoing mail through THEIR approved server if that's an option. That sort of assumes that their server _CAN_ reach all destinations.

But why then would I be able to go from server1 to server2 no problem? They are both on the same network (I think), and both from the same company.

You're in a bit of an abstract mode here. It's hard to envision what you're into without some more detail or an example.

The ISP example says that all their traffic goes through this typical rule set:

1) First, block/redirect all outgoing TCP/25 SMTP traffic
2) Allow SMTP/25 to the ISP's servers AND/OR to certain authorized external hosts
3) Deadend anything that doesn't comply.

Okay here are some more details. I appreciate your help with this issue.

I have two dedicated servers leasing from a single company. I cannot receive email sent from the domain hosted on server2 to any domain hosted on server1. I am able to receive mail sent to server2 from server1 however.

At first, I thought it was a problem with server2 qmail setup. I have since switched to the mail server of the hosting company and the problem persists.

It just isn't logical!! I am starting to think networking issues with the hosting company.

Have you checked all your DNS MX and A records? Are you certain that the problem domain on server 1 does NOT appear in the locals or virtuals on server2? It's important that server2 have NO references to the domain, that forces it to look up from DNS and send the mail off-box.

I have checked and will check again, however it appears to be ANY domain on server1, not just a single one which makes me think server wide or network issue.

It failed... but I figured out the problem. I don't understand it, but I figured it out.

The issues was I had multiple IP address' assigned to both servers. I discovered a strange issue when I was trying to ping one server from the other and was unable to. It showed and IP address that I wasn't using as blocking the signal. So I thought lets remove all unused IP's and see what happens. Once I did that, my inbox flooded with emails that I had sent during the past 2 weeks while testing. All is now working fine.

I can now telnet and ping from one server to the other no problem. I would assume it was some sort of reverse lookup or DNS issue that was causing the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back