Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Qmail and virtual domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

channan99

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2003
US
Hello, it seems like some of you were successfully configured qmail for virtual domain. Would you please share your instructions/tips? I read the "life with qmail" but still struggling. It would be nice if Redhat has a "qmail.rpm" :)

This is probably what I want: (from Chewie71):
Qmail 1.03
Vpopmail 5.3.9
qmailadmin 1.0.6
courier-imap 1.6.0.20021106
HORDE 2.1 ties these next three together...
IMP 3.1 webmail
tmda 0.56
and the grand poobah QADMIN-TMDA 0.49-3

I'm still at the qmail stage... I got 5 different domains to set up email for. Do I have to configure anything in Apache too?

My current environment: Redhat 8.0, Apache 2.0, qmail 1.3

Thanks a lot...

You don't need to do anything with Apache since it doesn't really deal with your mail domains. Once you've set up Vpopmail the domains will be a breeze. Vpopmail and qmailadmin are reasonably easy installs, if you follow the READNE and INSTALL files.

You may want to try vqadmin to manage your domains, then you do need to make a couple of simple apache config entries.

I think the courier imap release that you've noted is a development release, not the stable release. You may want to check that if this is going to be a "live" set up.

I'm not that familiar with HORDE/IMP, they do look cool - but I prefer sqwebmail - for web interface. If you're not stuck on IMAP, it's a bit easier to use qmail pop3d and sqwebmail for pop and web use.

good luck!

Thanks for the reply. My problem is when I run ./config, I got the following eror:

your hostname is myhost.
hard error
Sorry, I couldn't find your host's canonical name in DNS.
You will have to set up control/me yourself.

1. My DNS was configured with one of the vendors out there. Something particularly I need to set up? I got the 2 primary/secondary domain names pointed to my server static IP address. Anything else?

2. How do I set up control/me manually as indicated above?

I'm going back and read the docs again :)

Thanks..

If you want to save yourself from hours of frustration, go out & buy The qmail handbook by Dave Sill (author of lwq). I find lwq too brief for a beginner. With this book (best book I ever bought!!), I was able to setup qmail w/ vpopmail & sqwebmail.

Goto apress.com website to download Dave Sill's scripts...it'll save you from typing.

GL

Hi, instead of ./config do it manually like this:

./config-fast mail.example.com

Where mail is the name of your mailserver you are installing qmail on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back