Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Qlikview VS BO

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe69008

Programmer
Jun 29, 2005
FR
Hi everybody,

I am doing an study about the product to adopt to do report n my company.
The choice is between BO and Qlikview.
First of all, the main difference between both is the price. Qlikview is much less expansive than BO.

But if it's less expansive, Qlikview must be less performant or have less "option" or possibilty to do report than BO.

I searched in web their main difference and their performance but i found anything.
If someone have already test both and can share his experience with me, I would be very grateful to him.

Thanks

Best regards.

best advice is do and RFI and send it to both potentials. Having done these in the past I have found many companies have little issue with responding.

In the first portion of the RFI you let out the purpose. Second section can be mainly the rules such as responses must be submitted by X date to be included for final consideration, and other such items they need to know up front. Third section a number of detailed questions about how they handle areas you have questions about items such as:

Security,
Scalability,
Performance.

Also in section 2 include a request for demos that address the items in section 3.

Good Luck

Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

You should look beyond mere functionality and price.
If you use BO you will have extensive sources to draw from, it will be very easy to get additional support/consultancy and (back to functionality) you will also be able to create VERY advanced reports should the necessity arise.

Chances are, that if you go for a niche-player, you will find that there will always be the demand for additional tooling. BO will cover a much wider base...

Ties Blom

Like blom0344 said BO is catalog as niche-player in Gardner Magic Cuadrant, but QlikView is a Visioner in same report.

I'm a QlikView user and the best feature is not the price, trust me ... there is a LOT of technology behind this software, when you start to use it you will love each piece of code, is easy to implement, and very powerfull too. This is a 360 degrees way to analysis the information.
Is really hard to resume the feature in some lines but basicly:

- QlikView does not need a datawarehouse neither OLAP Cubes (no need but can use it if required by a customer), QlikView has a better way to do BI with a new and patented technology named "Data Cloud" (a non redundant data structure), this repository is created by using another patented technology --> AQL (Associative Query Logic). Basicly this AQL create pointers to data, each value is repetead only once and pointed as neccesary to other data (this AQL allow a compression of data without loses)

- Eficience in space: Basicly the OLAP cubes exponential growth as dimensions across cubes add redundancy. QlikView compress data at 5%-10% of the original size, reverse exponential growth as additional data contains only limited new information (more data is loaded so there is more probabities the data is repeated, so there is a better compression rate. Additionally, can hold an unlimited number of dimensions.

- A Data Cloud can hold information to a transacctional level, usually a OLAP only can hold a percent of information, and not all data suitable to be used in a cube structure.

- Each data could be a start point to a new analysis, no need to follow a hierchical navigation.

I think the best way to convince yourself is by downloading a trial version and the tutorial from QlikTech website. If you or anyone else need any further help to test the trial please let me know.

Regards,

ggerardo@hotmail.com

Thanks guys for your answers.
ggerardo, Thanks for your help.

Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back