Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QBasic and CGI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javin

Programmer
Aug 4, 2000
US
Visit site
Anyone here use QBasic to write executable CGI?&nbsp;&nbsp;If so, could you post a simple .BAS file to give me an idea of how their supposed to work?&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm fairly well versed in QBasic, but have never attempted anything with CGI.<br><br>-Javin

QBASIC?<br><br>If you're well versed in QBASIC and want to work with CGI, I suggest moving outside of the QBASIC sandbox.<br><br>There's a saying... if the only tool you have is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail.<br><br>This phrase still doesn't make sense to me. But the gist of it is this... Every language is different, either because it focuses on a certain problem, a certain idealology, or it tries to do one of the first two in a different way. If there's a better tool for the job, than use it. Don't always try and apply the tool you already know... if you have a good toolkit, than you can attack more problems and attack them more proficiently/efficiently.<br><br>I remember somebody trying to write a graphics program in QBASIC and asking the QBASIC forum why the graphics were slow. It's because QBASIC isn't meant to do certain things.<br><br>Now people have extended QBASIC far beyond what it's meant to be (a BASIC teaching language)... but really, it should only be extended so far. It's not a real-world language. The only place you'll find it used in the real world (MAYBE) is where some dolt actually wrote business programs in it years ago and the business needs to find somebody who uses it and can figure out the programs. The chances of that even happening anymore are slim.<br><br>If you plan to do real tasks that go beyond a small non-networking text/command-line based environment, it's best to learn another language. I'd say Perl, Java, and C++ would be a good starting toolkit.<br><br>Hey, I started with QBASIC too. That was sophomore year of high school for one semester. Now I'm entering my sophomore year in college and working in a great internship at a world-leading company, doing Java programming. If I didn't expand into new languages as quickly as I did, I wouldn't be here. Now, I'm also working with SQL, which is also a good tool depending on what area of programming you're in.<br><br>I don't mean to be harsh, and I'm not against QBASIC as a learning language. But I do think there's a problem when somebody takes QBASIC out of a learning environment and tries to use it to do something it was never originally intended to do. Take the time to learn a new language. Your tasks will become simpler, and you'll learn so much more about programming in the process. QBASIC is really not that great of a language- once I worked with other languages, I came to realize this (if I ever have to deal with labels and gotos again, arrgh). Broaden your horizons.<br><br>For CGI work, I'd definitely recommend Perl. Jump right in- I'd start with the &quot;programming in perl (2nd edition)&quot; book by O'Reilly publishers, written by Larry Wall, Randall Schwartz, and another guy whose name escapes me. It's considered the Perl Bible... worth picking up. It's the one with the camel on the front.<br><br>Again, I don't mean to be harsh. I think you would be better served however if you were to learn a language like Perl or Java and apply that to your tasks. Best of luck, and don't hesitate to ask me any questions you might have. <p>Liam Morley<br><a href=mailto:lmorley@wpi.edu>lmorley@wpi.edu</a><br><a href=] :: imotic :: website :: [</a><br>"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>
light the world, and bring depth to the silence.

LOL!&nbsp;&nbsp;Actually, the saying makes perfect sense.<br><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back