Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Q8400 issues? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gobshite

Technical User
Aug 7, 2009
GB
My motherboard is an abit ip35-e and I have just flashed the latest bios update, but when I put my new Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 processor the bios reports temperatures of 98F. I Switched the alarm off and ran 'real temp' in windows which showed that the true temp was around 28-35F.

Does anyone know how I can get bios to read the correct temp?

Simple. Switch the degrees F for degrees C and you'll see everything is just fine. If you convert 98 Fahrenheit to Celsius you'll get around 36.5C. Sounds like everything is OK.

Think about it for a second, though. If "Real Temp" were accurately reporting at 28-35 degrees F, part of that would be below freezing. You're not going to get those temps off of anything but exotic liquid cooling, and if you did you'd have all sorts of condensation issues to deal with too.

Most of the time when people talk about CPU temps they are referring to temperature in Celsius/centigrade scale.

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

SORRY I meant centigrade not fahrenheit, the bios reports it as 98C/208F and 'real temp' reports different temps for each core at between 28C-35C. My fault, there is no heat coming off the CPU nor any condensation (only a hint of condescension).

Does anyone know how I can get bios to read the correct temp?
two ways:

1. contact Abit and request an updated BIOS...

2. replace the Q8400 with one of the following SUPPORTED processors:
Code:
Core 2 Quad Q9550 	1333 	All 	15 	OK
Core 2 Quad Q9450 	1333 	All 	15 	OK
Core 2 Quad Q9400 	1333 	All 	? 	Test
Core 2 Quad Q9300 	1333 	All 	15 	OK
Core 2 Quad Q8200 	1333 	All 	? 	Test
Core 2 Quad Q6700 	1066 	All 	15 	OK
Source: Universal Abit CPU Support List for ip35-E

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back