Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

python reading lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

berrybub

Programmer
Mar 11, 2013
US

I have read a file. Now I have all these lines of strings. I need to extract specific lines. These lines are between two lines with a specific string in them. There is no set amount of lines between them. Also, I have to match the two lines. For example, There may be the string in the first line, but there is no match, so I will get the same string after a number of lines. Then I have to see if that line has the match. I have no clue how to do this.

def main():
infile = open(“file.txt”, “r”)
outfile = open(outfile.txt”,”w”)
for line in infile:
if “theString” in line:
break
for line in infile:
if “different string” or “anotherString” in line:
break
outfile.write(line)

Hi

As indentation is mandatory in Python, please start a new thread where you post your code between [tt][ignore]
Code:
[/ignore][/tt] and [tt][ignore]
[/ignore][/tt] TGML tags to preserve formatting.

Then click the [navy]Inappropriate post? If so, Red Flag it![/navy] at the bottom of your starting post here and ask forum management to delete this thread as you already posted a cleaned up version of it.

Feherke.
[link feherke.github.com/][/url]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back