Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PXE server with network drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wags2272

Technical User
Jun 3, 2005
US
I wish to create a PXE server for installing both Linux and Windows on various systems. I've been able to search the web and find information on how to create a PXE server and we have even set one up on a Windows server with Windows installations.

The problem that we're having and that I can't seem to find an answer to in searching the web is how to set it up for systems in which the network card drivers aren't included in the distro's installation package. This is a problem for both Windows and Linux.

For example: Our current setup with Windows is to install on HP systems with an onboard broadcom nic. This driver is not included in the Windows XP installer. If you do a PXE boot once it starts to load the install image it dies with a network driver not found error.

Anyone have any solutions for this problem?

Thanks,
Jonathan

P.S. I'm posting this in both the Linux and Windows forum since I'm looking for an answer for both.

well I don't have an answer for the windoz side of it but, on linux, assuming that you have configures correctly your kickstart server, you may manually edit the anaconda.cfg file that linux sends to pxe booting clients.

The file is a normal XML file and you may modify startup parameters as well as the set of apps you want to install by default.

QatQat

If I could have sex each time I reboot my server, I would definitely prefer Windoz over Linux!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back