Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PXE not auto imaging all of a sudden ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellbeach

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2003
Hello
I am making some tests on 4 machines before I apply PXE on all our computers (we used to use linux boot partition but are going over to PXE now).

This is what I did:
Removed the linux boot partition on the four machines
Put back the image
Fixed MBR with fdisk /mbr so the machine will boot
Took a new image and then put it back on the machines, works fine, at least on two of the four machines.

The problem now is: If I check the box "put a new image on this workstation on next boot" in C1, two of the machines will put on the image and two of the machines will just ignore the image when PXE check with the server for jobs.

If I go into the PXE menu on the machines which have problems and I just choos "auto" they will fo the job I specified in C1.

Why aren´t they doing the job automatically ?

okay, typical break down if you want any help:

What server OS and SP level?

what ZfD version and SP level?

Also, who is the NIC manufacture in teh system?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

NW6.5sp5
ZFD7 (not sure of sp but I think it is 2),
NIC is 3c905cx-tx-m

/Dan

there is no "I think" on service packs. The service packs make a huge difference. If you wana say your on SP2, then I wold say you may be running 6.5, if you wana say your on ZfD7, then I would say, there is no such thing as SP2 for ZfD7 right now.

Novell made a huge change in the linux kernel for the ZfD6.5 (and 7), so things that worked in ZfD6.5Sp1 don't always work in SP2 (mainly the drivers). Please be 100% sure on the version and SP.

But anyway.

Compare the firmware version on the nics, there was a time 3com had issues with PXE. But I have a feeling these are intergrated nics.

Also, from ConsoleOne, ensure you can remote control and obtain a full inventory of all 4 tests PC.

there is also an option to disable the linux boot partition when you drop an image on the PC, have you tested that?

Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Hello again
I have been installing some new computers and the problem seems to be that there is no "image safe data" written to the computers. Do I have to install a separate "image safe data agent" when using nw client 4.91sp2 and zenworks agent ? Or do I have to force every comp to write the image safe data ?

Ziswin writes the image safe data to the partition.

This is part of the ZfD Agent. I didn't see it in this tid, but there are some pretty nice command line switches that allow you to view the ISD data (don't bother with the tools on the Cool Solutions web site, they suck)

This would make sence as to why the auto image function is not working. If the PC can't identify it's self ... kinda hard to do what it's told to do.

Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

I just installed sp1 for zfd7 and it resolved the problem with a comp using pxe not always auto-downloading the images when it was set to image.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back