Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PXE-E53 No boot filename received 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldi07

MIS
Jun 22, 2010
CA
Hi, I am running Windows Vista 64 bits on a Gateway Laptop.
After re-installing the OS, drivers, etc, I get the following error at startup:

PXE-E53 No boot filename received

I have the latest drivers, all well installed, and the system works fine though, except for an important problem: my wireless connection is not working.
Please help.
Thank you.

The "PXE-E53 No boot filename received" error means that either the laptop is set to boot from the network first or, if it's set to boot from the hard disk first, that there is a problem with the hard disk or the way it's connected.

To check, you need to go into the BIOS and check the boot order. If the boot order shows PXE (network) boot as the first boot device then either disable this option or move it lower down the boot order.

If the boot order shows the hard disk is higher in the boot order than the PXE boot option then you need to check the hard disk for error and check that the hard disk is connected cleanly, i.e. by removing it and putting it back again securely.

As for wireless not working, does the wireless adapter appear in Device Manager? Is there an Fn key combination or wireless switch to turn wireless on? Unfortunately you didn't mention what model Gateway you have so it's a bit difficult to advise further.

Hope this helps...

Hi Rick, thank you for your answer.
The "PXE-E53 No boot filename received" error has been cleared after I followed your advice, and moved the boot from the hard disk up, just after the boot from the CD. No more error, thank you.
I though that was related somehow to the wireless not working. Unfortunately, this is still an issue. Kindly find below more details:
- Gateway P-173XL FX
- Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2
- System Type: 64-bit Operating System
- when I try to connect through the wireless button, I get the window : "Windows cannot find any networks"
- The wireless switch is turned "on" (I can hear the "beep" when I turn it on, and I can see the wireless picture "on")
- The wireless adapter does appear in device manager, with the right driver, and no errors:
- Wifi Networkk adapter: Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN. It states: "This device is working properly"

- Driver files:

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\NETwlv64sys
Provider: Intel Corporation
File version: 13.3.0.137

I also have twice the file:
C:\Windows\system32\NETwlc64.dll

Thank you so much in advance for your time.

IMPORTANT POINT: My other computers (one HP laptop, and an iMac), do connect successfully to the wireless network. This computer was too, before I formatted it and reinstalled everything...

Hi aldi07,

Does your laptop connect OK to a network using a cable? (in case it's something like the TCP/IP stack that's corrupt, not the wireless that's faulty). To reset the TCP/IP stack, do the following:
[ol 1]
[li]Click Start and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.[/li]
[li]Under Programs, right-click the CMD.exe icon select Run as administrator.[/li]
[li]When the User Account Control box appears, click Yes.[/li]
[li]At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press Enter: netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt[/li]
[li]Restart the computer.[/li]
[/ol]

The driver page for your laptop shows the latest for the Intel Wireless is v11.1.1.22. Where did you get v13.3.0.137 from?

What, if any, anti-malware software are you running?

Have you checked that the aerial cables are all attached to the wireless card? It looks like you have to loosen (not remove) 5 Philips screws to release the wireless bay cover on the underside of your laptop. The wireless card will have 2 or 3 aerial cables.
wireless_bay.jpg
wireless.jpg

Hi Rick,
- Yes, my laptop connects OK to a network using a cable. This is how I did my installation and updates, after formatting the disk drive.

- <<Where did you get v13.3.0.137 from?>> Good question. Since I had this problem I went to different sites to try to get the best driver, and I forgot where does this one comes from.
Out of despair, I even bought the DriverUpdate package, and installed all the recommended drivers. It did not change the wireless one though.

After your last post above, I downloaded the v11.1.1.22 but it wouldn't use it for update. It keeps telling me that my actual driver is up to date...

- The areal cables seem to be fine, although I do not have the same disposition. It is quite different actually. Unfortunately I cannot send you a picture since I have no URL to refer to, and I cannot attach any picture without it.

Thank you again!

You could still have a bad wifi card, they do go bad, but windows will say it is operating correctly, which just means that the driver is installed and their is no conflict with another device, it doesn't mean that the hardware is actually working. If wifi was working before the reload, then it is a configuration or driver issue. Link this is the latest version of drivers, and it is 15.3.1. And is a unified driver for several of the Intel WiFi cards.

Hi rclarke, thank you for your answer.

- I used your link, but I couldn't find 15.3.1.
- I did an automatic detect, and it detected my wireless driver as due for an update.
- I did the update, and it installed 13.4.0.139 (I had before 13.4.0.137)

Unfortunately, even after a restart, the wireless is still out of order...

At this point, and as a last resort, I think I will re-format my hard drive, and re-install everything, using this last version for the wireless driver. If the problem is still there, chances are that the WiFi card went bad at some point.

Thank you for your efforts. As a plus, it is always good to have intel's URL for drivers for future needs.

Link oops, wrong link, try this link, it's the support page for the wireless adapter you have. You could also download and run a linux livecd, and run it, if it runs the wireless card okay, then you know for sure that the software/os is the issue. If it doesn't than you can be pretty confident it is the card that is bad.Or you can buy a replacement card on ebay, most are under $20.00 usd.

Hi Rick and rclarke,
Great news: I just finished formatting (again!) my hard drive and reinstalling vista 64 with all the updates. As soon as I installed vista 64 SP2, my wireless connection started to work like a charm!
I did not install any driver, I just let windows updates do the job. My actual wireless driver is NETw5v64.sys version 12.2.0.11
I have no intention of updating it: it works!! [bigsmile]
The frustrating part, is that I don't know why it didn't before, and why it does now...
Anyway, I just wanted to let you know, and I want to thank you both again, for your time and your efforts.
Take care!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back