Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pwoerquest Bootmagic question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amram

Technical User
Dec 23, 2002
US
I had two partitions the primary partition had Win 98 and the other partition had Win2K pro on it. I used to use Bootmagic (on the primary partiton) to get dual boot and choose between Win2k and Win98. Then I decided to delete the primary partition with Win98 on it. So I completely deleted this partition using partition magic. and now whenever I reboot i get an error maessage " Error! could not find file bootmagic.img. Make sure ...etc. Hit any key to continue...". When I hit any key the computer boots up as usual. How can I get rid of this error message at boot up? Thanks.

You could try to boot to C: and run fdisk /mbr to clean the boot record. That's all I can think of

Tried it out but did not work. Any other suggestions would be really helpful. I have boot disk for WIN2k which partition magic created, will that help in anyway?

It may. It gets hairy with bootloaders these days :)

Try this first:

Boot to your Win2K CD and run the recovery console.
Type in:
fixboot C: (if windows 2000 was on your C: drive use that..but it probably wasn't, so type: Fixboot d:)

Then type: fixmbr d: (again..if win2k was on your d: drive. If it was on C: use fixboot c:)

reboot and see what happens. Keep that partition magic rescue disk handy tho! pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back